We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Need some advice as to where to stay for a brief 3 day visit in late March. Fiftyish couple looking for a laid back beachy type of mini vacation. We tend to prefer funky over luxury, like the idea of a cottage over a condo, plan to spend days sight seeing a little, hanging out at the beach, people watch and relaxing. Can anyone tell me a little more about these three places--likes dislikes?

Are there places farther north we should look into--

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Well if funky is the operative word, than Ocean Beach is the place.

Cool little community, kind of stuck in the 60s. Fun restaurants, eclectic shops on Newport...and a beautiful pier for walking and watching the surfers.

My college-age daughter lived there for a year and absolutely loved it.

Mission Beach has lots of condos along the boardwalk...if it is still spring break it could get a bit rowdy...most of the condos are vacation rentals during high season

I wouldn't use 'funky' and 'La Jolla' in the same discription...La Jolla village would be more up-scale...however, there is a B&B in La Jolla that sounds funky and is pretty highly rated on TA. Check the hotels/accomdations on the left and look in La Jolla B&Bs

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
La Jolla Village Lodge
La Jolla Village Lodge
92 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Three Rivers...
Level Contributor
7 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Based on what you've written above, I think you should look in to Encinitas.

Is there anything you feel like you MUST do while here, in terms of sight-seeing?

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
San Diego
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Take a look at the Crystal Pier Motel. The rooms are on a pier over the ocean in Pacific Beach. You can hear the waves breaking under your bed. It is funky and will meet your objectives.

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,038 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Thanks for the great advice--always come here when I'm planning a trip. Can anybody tell me anything about the vibe in Imperial Beach?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Imperial Beach is pretty secluded from any of the major sight seeing areas...other than Coronado. I don't think you'd say it has a funky vibe at all.

Water quality can be iffy - depending on recent rain activity.

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
Ojai, California
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

I agree with the Encinitas recommendation.

It has a smaller beach town vibe and has a nice combination of funky, hip, spiritual, and nice beachy energy.

Good restaurants too.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,630 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Imperial Beach is just recently beginning to gentrify. It is not really a place for visitors to stay. Encinitas is a suburban town but I describe it as artsy,surfer/hippy. We often drive up there for breakfast and to take a walk. I am a bit older than you and live in La Jolla. You might also consider Ocean Beach which is a neighborhood of the city of SanDiego so close in if you want to sightsee but with a small town/surfer/hippy feel. It has a row of antique stores that are fun, a streetfair/farmers market one night a week and relaxed restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

Funky = Ocean Beach

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,032 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

I would lean towards Ocean Beach. I think Encinitas is too far north. There are nice hotel/motels on the beach.

If you want funky though, you might consider the Catamaran Hotel on Mission Bay. Very old school Polynesian theme. There is also the Glorietta Bay Inn in Coronado or the Britt Scripps Inn in Hillcrest.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
502 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Glorietta Bay Inn
Glorietta Bay Inn
1,005 Reviews
Coronado, CA
Coronado
Coronado
California
Scripps Inn
Scripps Inn
340 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
Hillcrest
Hillcrest
128 Reviews
San Diego, CA
10. Re: mission beach, ocean beach, La Jolla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 04:19