We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

NSW
5 posts
Save Topic
Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

Hi

My family will be travelling to San Diego in Sept/Oct. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a nice hotel that would cater for kids 5,4,2 that isnt overly expensive. I have noticed a lot of people use priceline and sites to get great prices, but not sure if we can use this site ( we are from Australia) or the restriction of the room etc. We are considering the Business Place room at Days Inn Hotel Circle. Also what type of weather can we expect at that time of year? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Cassie

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

How long will you be visiting for? What are you planning on doing while you are there? What is your budget? Many hotels do not allow 5 people in 1 room due to fire code (we learned this after having our 3rd child and trying to book rooms). Rooms that offer family suites, or place like the Embassy Suites that are all two rooms are you best options. If you are staying for a week or longer you may want to consider renting a vacation home. This is a nice option as it allows for you to make some of your meals and not eat out all the time. It also gives your family more space. www.vrbo.com is a site for vacation rentals by owners. It is usually pretty reputable.

The weather should be beautiful at this time of year - warm during the day, cooling in the evening. In October there is always the possibility of rain - but it usually doesn't last for more than a day.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

You will NOT be able to use priceline for family rooms.

They only guarantee 1 bed in the room .

Renting a condo house is an idea many families enjoy.

We need to know your price range to help more. IF Days Inn Hotel Circle is about right for your budget then that area will provide the most inexpensive rooms for you. It is not pretty but is centrally located at the side of a busy freeway(highway) I hope you will be renting a car with child seats to use during your stay.

NSW
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Sorry i should have mentioned that we will be in San Diego for 6 nights, we will have a car (hoping for somewhere with free parking). The Days Inn Hotel Circle was where the travel agent suggested purely as it seems to be the only hotel allowing 5 in a room. I was hoping for somewhere with a little more room and 2 TV's. I have been looking at Bahia Hotel Resort but have been a little scared by some of the reviews. Would be looking at under $300pn

NSW
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

I should mention that we will be visiting Legoland, Zoo, Seaworld. Can I also ask what is the legal age that children can travel in the car without a car/booster seat?

Thanks again

C

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

Try the Dana at Mission Bay - NEW SECTION - they are large rooms with two queen beds and plenty of room for a roll away. Depending on the time of year, they may be within budget. They have a nice pool area as well and a small fridge and microwave in the room as well as a big tub (nice with kids). It is right next to Sea World. Legoland is a good 30 minute drive without traffic (it is located in Carlsbad, North of SD), but the zoo is easy to get to from there as well.

Embassy Suites also allow for 5 people in the room and you actually get two rooms, fridge, microwave, breakfast included as well as afternoon snacks and drinks.

Your 2 year old will need to be in a true car seat and your 4 & 5 year olds can be in booster seats. The law is 6 years or 60 lbs. You can get seats through the rental car agency but they tend to be expensive and not that great. You can also purchase inexpensive ones at Target / Walmart / or other discount stores. The booster seats for the older kids can just be the base.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

Meant to add the Embassy Suites has a tv in both rooms. The Dana is just one large room with one tv (although we brought along a portable DVD player and headphones for the kids for the evening). The Dana however has a much nicer pool area.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

You also might try Residence Inn (Marriott) in La Jolla. They have a two room 'penthouse' (really, a loft) with a queen bed, a murphy bed, and a sofa bed - two bathrooms - and a rough look at rates seems right around $270. It is in the same general area as Embassy - so you're kind of half way between Sea World and Legoland.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

Ah, and I also see that the Residence Inn, Sorrento Mesa, has a two bedroom suite for about the same price. They'll be slightly closer to LegoLand, not by much. Rate is around $280.

All Residence Inns offer full breakfasts (as does Embassy) which is handy when traveling with a crowd. Also, all offer free parking.

Either would be a good base for 6 days. It will be about 20 minutes to Sea World, 30 minutes to the Zoo/Balboa Park/Downtown San Diego - probably 30 minutes or more to Legoland...and a short drive to the beaches of La Jolla, if you are interested.

We just stayed at this particular Residence last weekend for a conference and were VERY impressed.

Wonderful service, nice rooms, nice people.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

In your price range you can do better than the Days Inn at the side of the road.All the previously menitoned ideas are good ones. In addition the Homewood Suites chain by Hilton is another choice.

NSW
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 5 travelling to San Diego

Thank you for you advice it is very much appreciated. I will check the mentioned hotels out :) I have just come across Homewood Suites Liberty Station. It seems to have good reviews any thoughts on this hotel?

Thanks

C