We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo or Villa/ versus nice hotel for large family

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
142 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Condo or Villa/ versus nice hotel for large family

Family of 7 - Kids range from 5 to 20 ...........You are all great. I have loved reading the many posts and narrowed it down to the Omni downtown or Marriott Marina if staying in hotel, if the price is right. Possible Homewood suites Del Mar if less epensive and the Staybridge suites had a 2 bedroom also. Being able to walk around and see fun things for the kids, mostly beach access is important. Also nice pool and possibly continental breakfast will help. Have car and budget around 250 to 300 per night if possible prefer to all stay in the same room (preferrably 2 bedroom) Would consider a 2 or 3 bedroom villa if anyone knows of any that are still around the tourist areas. Don't want to be islolated...Looking for 2 or 3 nights in early July.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Five Star Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
GoCar Tours San Diego
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo or Villa/ versus nice hotel for large family

I don't think the Omni or the Marriott will work on your budget.One regular room at normal price would be $300 in the summer.Even the EmbassySuites 2 bedroom suite can go for $600.

Your best bet for price will be the Homewood Suites Del Mar or the Staybridge. Unfortunately they are not at a beach.

You might consider a condo rental. See:www.vrbo.com vacation rental by owner--Many families have used that site succesfully.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
142 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo or Villa/ versus nice hotel for large family

Thank you for the quick response - I will take your advise and check this out. (Anything you may think of later, feel free to mention.)

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo or Villa/ versus nice hotel for large family

The Beach Cottages in Mission beach. Not fancy and no pool, but for excellent beach access you can't beat their beachfront location on Mission Beach. I think they have 2 bedrooms and with your own kitchenette you can easily and economically supply your own breakfast and other meals if you want. www.beachcottages.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo or Villa/ versus nice hotel for large family

Vacation rentals can be great for families. We have a couple less than 1/2 a block to the beach in mission beach and ocean beach. You can see them here:

http://www.vrbo.com/my/98284

...lots of others to choose from too ;)

Best

Jason

5. Re: Condo or Villa/ versus nice hotel for large family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 18:18