We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area and hotel by the beach?

Littleton, CO
8 posts
Save Topic
Which area and hotel by the beach?

We'll be in SD for 4 nights, SeaWorld, Zoo and beach vacation. We can't decide on an area - either the Hotel Del or Glorietta Inn on Coronado (the Del is so expensive and not sure it's worth it) or the Mission Beach area, specifically Catamaran Resort or Blue Sea Lodge. Is the Mission Beach area seedy or is it pleasant for family that wants a good beach vacation? Has anyone stayed at these hotels? How about the area? Thx

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
619 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

The Hotel Del is crazy expensive, but if you can afford the splurge, it IS worth it. There's really no hotel like it - it's grand, historic, luxurious, and right on the beach! There's also a Loews and a Marriott I believe on Coronado Island, which might be less expensive. Mission Beach can be a little seedy, but I've gone there almost every summer for the past few years and it's really a fun place. Lots of cheap little restaurants and shops, plus you can drive to La Jolla or Downtown for nice dining and shopping. I would recommend the Catamaran or Hyatt resorts in Mission. There's also Tower23, which is one of the coolest hotels ever, right on the beach, but it's also very pricey. Hope that helps! Have fun!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

I wouldn't call Mission Beach "seedy" . I would say that Coronado is more upmarket/classy. Mission Beach is more like the average seaside area with small beachy bars,an old fashioned wooden roller coaster etc.The average person from anywhere in the city of San Diego might drive there to spend the day.

I like the Catamaran's location as it backs onto Mission Bay Park with its miles of cement trails for biking,skating,walking etc.It rents water toys for use on the manmade bays AND it is across the street from the ocean.To me the best of all worlds.

Coronado has a small town feel with a main street,town park etc.There are also many restaurants in easy walking distance.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

I agree with riffsmom about the Catamaran. You don't mention age specifics, but there is so much to do in the Mission Bay area for kids of all ages - and adults too!

Pacific Terrace might also be an option,but don't know your dates/prices. It is also right on Pacific Beach - not as spendy as Tower 23, but it gets great reviews.

And, regarding yet another donald08 post (advertisement??) about the California Suites - they are no where near any beach...up in Clairemont Mesa on a busy industrial street

San Diego,Ca.
Level Contributor
7,395 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

Pacifc Beach north of Cryastal peir(where Tower 23, Pacific Terrace, Diamond Head Inn and Pacific Shores Inn are located) is one of the prettiest stretch of beaches in central San Diego.

I recently went and looked at Pacific Shores Inn and Diamond Head Inn becuase alot of people on the SD forum want to know where an affordable beach hotel/motel is. They both have new rooms with new furniture, carpet, bathrooms,ect. and are nice but not luxurious(they are sort of like a Hampton Inn).

When I went to Pacific beach I drove through Mission Beach and it is a bit "seedy" to answer your question missinqnapilibay.

Pacific and Mission Beach are on the same 4 mile stretch of beach but each of them tend to draw a different crowd if you look.

The Hyatt mission bay and Paradise Piont Hotel are about 2 miles from PB.

A good area of Mission Bay is Crown Piont which is about 1 mile or less from the Hyatt and Paradise Piont.

San Diego,Ca.
Level Contributor
7,395 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

I should say Mission Beach CAN be a bit rough... as alot of people on the San Diego TA forum like it perfectly fine.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

I absolutely endorse the hotel Del-there is nothing like this one-sur,it is a bit hectic,in the halways-but the central courtyard, the garden leading to the beach is unbelievable! Just one caveat,stay away from 1500 Orange-it is overpriced,stuffy,very average food.

Level Contributor
35,256 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

We had a very nice stay at the Del for 3 nights for $250/night which included a $20/day resort money that we used for breakfast at the Sheerwater each morning. We loved this property, check the website for specials and packages.

The previous poster is probably referring to 1500 Ocean, the fine dining restaurant at the Del, we had a lovely dinner there and found the food to be of very high quality. Have fun in San Diego and welcome to the travel forums! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
619 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

Again, I LOVE Mission Beach, but I would not call it your "average" beach town. It tends to have a little more riffraff in summer, especially when schools are out and high school and college kids invade in summer.

Just to give you an idea, two summers ago when I was staying there in a condo rental on the boardwalk, we heard that there was a stabbing/fight between an older man and a younger college guy a few blocks away from where we were staying. When we walked through Belmont Park (where the roller coaster is) at night, young kids were throwing those cherry-poppers at people's feet. Then, my family and I were walking along the boardwalk one night when a group of drunk high school/college kids started yelling obscenities at us from their balcony and calling my 19-year-old cousin a wh**e. We ended up having to call the police on them after they made verbal threats to my aunt and dad.

So we all like Mission and think the summer crowd and craziness is the fun of it, I just wouldn't call it your normal beach town. With that said, it's a wonderful place, and as I recommended above, just stay at one of the nicer resorts (Catamaran or Hyatt) and spend your days at the beach (but not nights) if you're concerned about the riffraff.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

You might also want to check out Capri By The Sea in Pacific Beach. It's actually a high-rise condo unit (I believe 10+ stories). It's right on the beach, and most of the condo unites are rented out by the week for vacationers.

Littleton, CO
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area and hotel by the beach?

Thanks for your suggestions everyone and for being so helpful. We're leaning much more toward Coronado now and since an ocean view room at the Del would be almost twice the cost of a suite at the Glorietta, I think it'll be the Glorietta. We'll just have to wander through the Del and enjoy it that way!