We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

DH and I are taking our 3 year old to SD for 2 nights. We are planning on going to Legoland one day and we would like to go to either Sea World, SD Zoo or SD Wild Animal Park. I would like to go to Sea World and DH wants to go to the Wild Animal park. But we want to do what will be more fun for our son. What do you guys think?

TIA

Lori

San Diego,Ca.
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

Sea World is expensive $60/for 1 adult and many of the rides are an extra $3 each at Sea World.

I think the WAP has a calmer(not as fake) more peacefull atmosphere and is about $35 for an adult ticket.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

Go to the Zoo. One of the first things I can remember as a child in San Diego was going to the Zoo with my grandparents.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,194 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

The zoo is better for a young child than the Wild AnimalPark as the animals are closer. IF your child has not had exposure to zoo animals yet then take him to the zoo.There's a petting area and baby animal area too.

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

There's a lot to see and do at all 3 places, but in my opionion the zoo would be more fun for you and your son. The zoo has a train, a carousel (just outside the park), an aerial tram to get your from one side of the park to the other and a bus you can use to get from one attraction to another if you get tired of pushing a stroller. The zoo also has the pandas which are huge favorites of kids and adults. You can also get up closer to many more animals than you can at the Wild Animal Park (without taking a tour there). The WAP is a longer drive from San Diego (about 35 minutes) and taking one of their tours is probably the best way to see more animals, some of them (such as the family caravan) don't allow children under the age of 6. I'd also wait for SeaWorld until your child is older and you can get more out of your visit.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

The other reason I would suggest the zoo is the plethora of other things to do in/around Balboa park.

San Diego
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

The Zoo is the way to go for all the reasons stated above. Plus they have a wonderful petting Zoo and CHildrens Zoo (go to the left when you enter the park). My kids (ages 5 & 2) love those areas.

BTW. Sea World only charges extra for the Skytower. Every other ride is included in the admission price.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

Thanks for all of your advice. I think we will probably end up choosing the Zoo. The main reason why I didn't know if I wanted to go there is because DS has been to the Los Angeles zoo a few times so we thought he might enjoy something different.

I am not sure on the set-up of the Wild Animal park. Is it mostly animals roaming and you have to take a jeep to see them?

San Diego
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

You can view a good number of animals by just walking thru the WAP. The gorillas, condors, lions, cheetahs, elephants, multiple reptiles and birds are all easily seen at the WAP. Plus it has what I consider the best exhibit at either park...the Lowerkeet Landing whewre you can purchase a little cup of nectar for $3 and go inside to feed them. You end up with lowerkeets on your arms, head, etc. and it makes for great pictures and a lot of fun. Especially for kids.

in addition you can take the "Journey into Africa" tram for $10 per person and see the animals intermingling in their more natural habitat.

FWIW I like the WAP better but if you've never been to the SD Zoo you gotta go see it.

Slater, Missouri
Level Contributor
247 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

I agree with several others...go to the zoo.

My kids have been to all 3 several times (they are 11) and they like the zoo the best.

Since you only have 2 nights, and one day is already driving to Legoland, I wouldn't make the drive out to the WAP.

The zoo is great!

san diego
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea World vs. SD Zoo for 3 year old

sea world would be better for your 3 year old. The zoo is also great but 3 times bigger than sea world.

Sea world has coolzones, water rides and the shamu show at night is spectacular.