We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the beach or old town

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
the beach or old town

Help!

I've booked the BW Hacienda - Old Town but now I see it has received some rather strong negative reviews. I'm trying to decide if the BW Blue Sea Lodge would be better.

We have two boys (7 & 8). We are coming mid September and plan on spending the days at Sea World and the Zoo, and want to go to a Padres game in the evening.

Need to stay with Best Western due to travel vouchers.

What do you think? All opinions welcomed! (Trying to make it a great first trip for our family)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,197 posts
5,166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the beach or old town

Does your vouchers work for BW-Coronado?

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

That would be a nice place to stay close to the beach and it is an easy drive over the bridge (pretty views of San Diego) to get to the 3 things you mentioned.

Or are you relying on the San Diego Trolley to get about?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the beach or old town

Well, they are both good hotels, but I can absolutely tell you from first hand experience that the Hacienda is great place. I have also seen a couple reviews that were poor, but i'd have to disagree. Really, it comes down to what type of vacation you want. Are you beach people? If your answer is an overwhelming yes, you may want to think about the blue sea lodge. But, if your only reason for changing is based on a couple negative reviews, I suggest you look passed them and keep your reservation. The location of the Hacienda is great --- tons of restaurants, historic buildings, shopping, etc. (the hotel is connected to Acapulco's restaurant -- yum)

The blue sea lodge is fairly nice, and is mere STEPS from the ocean, but the area does not have the same level of dining and shopping places that the hacinda has.

Hope that helps.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the beach or old town

Thanks Mini & Naven for your input.

Yes we were hoping to take advantage of the trolley for our transportation. We'd prefer not renting a car until we head up to Anaheim. Although we really enjoy the beach, realistically I know we won't have much time in the day to spend on a beach. Naven I feel more reasured about our hotel selection after your comments.

thanks for your help!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the beach or old town

kjinbc,

It's all a matter of preference. What might be nice to me, may be a dump to someone else. If you look at the Hacienda's overall reviews, at least 90% of them are favorable. One of the reviewers who wrote a bad review of the place complained that old town has too many mexican restaurants. Well, this person clearly doesn't understand the history of this area, but let's just say the people of Mexico MAY have something to do with it.

This same person wrote that the layout of the hotel is confusing and has too many stairs. Well, the layout is part of the charm to me, and there are so many stairs because it's on A HILL.

Sometimes, I cringe when I read reviews on here. Common sense, that's all it takes to be a good traveler.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the beach or old town

I second Naven's comments, the Hacienda is a nice hotel with beautiful views, great location, easy access to trolley - I would certainly stay there

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: the beach or old town

Thanks Naven and Chissis. With hotels & flight booked, now all we have to do is wait until September. I'm not sure who's more excited - me or my kids!

Is there a restaurant that you would recommend in Old Town for dinner?

ontario
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: the beach or old town

Hi: We just got back from San Diego a few days ago and we parked right behind the BW Hacienda. The location looked great for this hotel. wish we had looked into this place. The atmosphere in old town was just wonderful. Like others mentioned, so much to see and do in Old Town. Restaurants, shops, entertainment, historical sites. We took many pictures here and got most of our souvenir tshirts in a shop in old town, they were reasonable here. Go on San Diego tourism website and get their free vacation guide. they sent us coupons which we found very helpful. We got a coupon from there for saving five dollars off the best value ticket at the zoo for family of 4 which was almost the same price as family of 4 general admission.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the beach or old town

El Agave is very popular. I have yet to go, but I hear wonderful things about it. It's "upscale" mexican food (who knew that existed?). http://www.elagave.com/

For a cheaper, homestyle mexican restaurant try Old town Mexican Cafe: http://www.oldtownmexcafe.com/ It is a short walk from your hotel.

My favorite place in old town is Casa Guadalajara bazaardelmundo.com/dining/guadalajara.html

It is within walking distance, but a tad bit farther from your hotel. Worth the short walk though.

The hotel is connected to Acapulco's, which is a chain restaurant, but I actually enjoy eating there. The food is above average, and the monday happy hour is one of the best ever. If you're a margarita lover, dont miss Margarita Mondays :)

calgary,ab
Level Contributor
183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the beach or old town

Mini, you're everywhere on my trip.

I'm ending my trip in San Deigo. Is Old Town and the Gaslight district the same?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the beach or old town

Old Town is south of the Gaslamp district (which is basically "downtown") by about 4 miles, but you can easily get between the two areas via the trolley (train)

http://www.gaslamp.org/

http://gothere.com/sandiego/oldtown/