We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland or Universal

stoney creek
5 posts
Save Topic
Disneyland or Universal

Family of 4 - 16 and 13 year old boys. Never been to Disneyland - been to Disney World many times.

Should we go?

Would Universal be better? How is Universal Ca compared to Florida?

Only have one day for one of these.

Rest of week north of San Diego - what does everyone recommend?

Padres games good?

Looking for tickets to Angels vs Red Sox - nothing through Angels websites - any alternatives?

Thanks for the great forum!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland or Universal

If you have only one day and are trying to choose between Disneyland Resort and Universal, go to Disneyland Resort and spend your day in Disneyland Park only, skipping DCA park. Many people who visit DL and have been to WDW say they liked DL better. For more tips and advice post in the Anaheim Forum. It's important to let us know when you plan your visit.

I don't know how Universal Studios Hollywood compares to Florida. I do know that DL is the original Disney park that Walt worked on and has some things that WDW's Magic Kingdom doesn't have. If you are driving up from San Diego for one day, Disneyland Resort is a lot closer than Universal.

You have another option for a theme park, and something that usually pleases kids of the ages you mentioned. Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, which has the official title of America's First Theme Park and has thrill rides and very good food. Buena Park is just west of Anaheim.

For San Diego:

World Famous San Diego Zoo/Balboa Park (two days for each)

Sea World

Maritime Museums (San Diego Bay)

USS Midway Aircraft Carrier and Museum (San Diego Bay)

Seaport Village (for a walk and lunch, a little touristy shopping, ice-cream)

Coronado

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland or Universal

Opps - forgot the baseball questions:

Padres are very good.

Don't think you will be able to get Angels and Red Sox. But maybe someone knows how. Also ask in Anaheim Forum.

Are you coming in July? If so, off course all theme parks will be busy with Disneyland being the busiest. Ask in the Anaheim Forum how to work around crowds for DL. A two day visit is usually recommended during peak season, but you can do it in one with the ages of your group if you plan well.

Level Contributor
35,236 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland or Universal

Disneyland gets my vote! :)

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland or Universal

Universal Florida has many more rides, Universal Hollywood has the backlot tour. You also have the NBC, WB and other studio tours if you want to go to see the filming side of Hollywood.

Disneyland & the Magic Kingdom are very comparable. There are subtle difference in the rides (do a search on this forum - many of the differences have been posted). If you are a Disney family (we are) - I would opt to go to DL, otherwise I would skip the parks and do something new & different. Depending on your budget and what you enjoy - there are many things to do from beaches, kayaking, tidepools, surfing to museums, the Wild Animal Park, the Zoo, taking Barnstorming Airplane Rides, fishing, and much more.

Check http://www.stubhub.com/ for Padres tickets.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland or Universal

I just took a look at my first post and found something that needs clarification

"World Famous San Diego Zoo/Balboa Park (two days for each)"

I meant plan two days to visit both of them, one day for each. Balboa Park can be combined with an evening activity, but the zoo will take an entire day. If going in the summer, make sure to get to the zoo at opening to get a jump on the crowds.

stoney creek
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland or Universal

Thanks for the great feedback - I am surprised so many of you recommended Disney - my 13 year old will be thrilled.

Looking forward to our holiday only 3 more weeks, we are there July 12-20 - not long enough but better than nothing.

Thanks again.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland or Universal

Another vote for Disneyland.

If you're staying north of SD you may be near SD zoo's Wild Animal Park at Escondido. It's unique and terrific. Check it out www.sandiegozoo.org/wap/index.html

San Diego
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland or Universal

I too will place a vote for Disneyland. It's just better than Uni Studios.

You won't be able to get Angles/Sox tickets unless you want to go thru either an online or local scalper. There are just too many of us transplanted New Englanders here. Red Sox Nation indeed!

9. Re: Disneyland or Universal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 13:20