We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day itinerary for July what do you think?

Seattle
Level Contributor
637 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Day itinerary for July what do you think?

My husband and I and another couple will be visiting San Diego July 20-22. We will be checking in Sunday late morning at the Marriott Coronado Island Resort. We were thinking of walking to the Del Coronado for lunch (La Salsa or other) and touring the area. We're hoping to be able to catch a water taxi to Seaport Village to go take the Seal Tour late afternoon. After we would like to have dinner in that area. We don't mind walking. Any suggestion for a nice casual italian or mexican place within 1 - 1 1/2 mile distance and near art galleries. After we would stroll around until we get dessert at Extraordinary Desserts. Then walk back to Seaport Village to catch the water taxi to Coronado Island (how late do they run?)

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day itinerary for July what do you think?

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of Seaport Village. The gaslamp quarter has more than a few eateries, and is reachable from the ferry landing, but before I steer you in that direction, I'll recommend one of my favorite Italian places, Buon Appetito on India St. It's in the Little Italy neighborhood of downtown (go figure), which is much closer than the Gaslamp Quarter. Very casual and excellent food. Dinner for 4 might run you about $200 with wine. I recommend making reservations, since it's quite popular and not very big. A few doors down there's Filippi's, a SD staple that's more traditional and less expensive. This place is more family-oriented, with great pizzas and traditional pasta dishes. Think red and white checkerboard tablecloths. Lastly, there's the Indigo Grill (also on India), not Italian but very good eclectic cuisine. You can check it out at this website:

cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/…indigo.php

If you decide to head to the Gaslamp Quarter, our favorite Italian place is Osteria Panevino. It's one of about 4-5 Italian restaurants right next door to each other along 5th Ave between F & G Streets, but it's the one we like best. Their ossobucco in risotto is excellent. Another place we like is Bottega de la Strada on 4th Ave, right across from the Horton Plaza mall.

Believe it or not, I'm hard pressed to come up with a good Mexican place to recommend downtown. But we do like Miguel's Cocina in Coronado, on Orange Ave @ Adella Ave. It's roughly across from the Hotel Del Coronado. These guys attract quite a crowd on weekends, so reservations are highly recommended if they take them. You can feast on free chips and salsa while you wait for your table.

Extraordinary Desserts is deserving of its name - you will enjoy it if you haven't already.

The Coronado ferry/water taxi's last run from downtown is at 9 PM. You can get more details about the times here:

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

Have fun!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day itinerary for July what do you think?

I would agree with the suggestion of Miguel's. It is our favorite Mexican restaurant in San Diego and is right accross the street from the Del. It would be a great place to eat dinner one of the nights. An excellent Italian restaurant in the Gaslamp area (about a mile from Seaport Village) is de' Medici. They have wonderful food and service. It is located at 815 5th Ave.

Seattle
Level Contributor
637 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day itinerary for July what do you think?

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. I'm building myself a nice little guide by copying & pasting all the suggestions I get from this board on pages I can bring with me. You guys are awesome! Ao far we've changed our plans slightly by doing the Seal Tour early afternoon and heading to Point Loma after that to see the monument and the tide pools. We might still come back to have dinner in Downtown/Gaslamp area but we're concerned it will be very crowded because of the Pride Parade that day.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day itinerary for July what do you think?

No sweat. As to the Pride Day festivities, I'd expect them to remain mostly in the Hillcrest area. You'll see some of it filter downtown, but not as much as up the hill. So you may not want to hit Extraordinary Desserts on 5th - stick to the downtown location.

A couple of options in Pont Loma on the way to (or from) the Cabrillo Monument are Con Pane, a rustic bread bakery that makes excellent sandwiches. It's on Rosecrans @ Canon. Get 'em to go and enjoy them as you take in the view from the Monument. Miguel's Cocina - that place in Coronado - has another location in Point Loma, so if you're in the mood for Mexican after your visit to Cabrillo and want to avoid downtown, that'll work. This one's on Shelter Island Drive. Again, watch for a crowd.

5. Re: Day itinerary for July what do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 19:18