We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

Hi everybody.

In the beginning of August (on a tuesday) we are driving from San Diego to Las Vegas in a day.

We don't mind getting up early and leave San Diego around 5 - 6 am.

A friend of mine suggested we went by Joshua Tree Park on the way but I'm affraid it will take to long even if we only spent a couple of hours there.

I have no idea how long it will take but we would like to arrive in Vegas no later then 5-6 pm that same day.

Can anybody suggest a route to chosse?

Thanks

Mads

Mentioned in this post
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

If your priority is getting to Las Vegas, I would skip Joshua Tree as it’s about 80 miles out of your way. There is really only one “easy” (meaning freeway) way from SD to LV and that’s I-15. It should take you 5 to 6 hours depending on stops and traffic – so you can sleep in a bit.

You might want to go to “google maps” and zoom in (double click a few times) between SD and LV to get a good view of the area. Then you can hit the “my maps” and click on “places of interest. You can then click on/off businesses, gas stations, food and such and they will be displayed on the map for you.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

Do a Map Quest directions. It will give you alternate routes, mileage and estimate of travel time.

www.mapquest.com

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

Depending on traffic the drive from SD to Las Vegas app. will take 5-6 hours. Driving via Joshua Tree NP and Mojave Desert will take 7-8 hours. No time for visits though. Avoid Las Vegas in the weekend, prices will double fri and sat plus traffic will be heavy.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

Hi, I live in Vegas, and go to San Diego and Anaheim California frequently. Skip Joshua Tree Park, you'll see plenty on the drive without the side trip.

San Diego is a little more than a 5 hour trip to Vegas, depending on traffic. Mid week it shouldn't cause any trouble at all, other than the regular rush hour traffic in California for people on their way to work. So, my recommendation would be not to start out for Vegas until 8:30 or 9:00 am...after they're already to work.

As for driving directions, try to see if you can get a rental car with a GPS system in it. They work wonderfully. Basically, your best route is Interstate 15 to Interstate 215, to I-15 again..and it's about 300 miles.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

Skip the 215 in Riverside and stay on the I-15 all the way. Just follow the signs, it is very clearly marked.

Leave San Diego by 10:00am so you are past Riverside before rush traffic which starts about 2:00pm and lasts to 6pm. Or, as we do in summer, leave San Diego about 6pm and drive at night when it is cooler. You will arrive in Vegas at about 11pm.

Remember summer temps in the desert will be about 110 so be sure you have water and a cell phone in case of an emergency.

Mentioned in this post
Riverside
Riverside
California
SAN
Level Contributor
77 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

That time of day - just jump on Interstate 15 and it will take you right into Vegas. Count on a 5 hour drive, easy.

Stop at State Line, take a break, get some gas..then into Vegas.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Driving from San Diego to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 22:20