We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about location

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about location

We'll be visting San Diego for 6 days next June after driving down from San Francisco via Monterey, Santa Barbara and Palm Springs. We're both in our early 40s and although we want to see as much of the city as possible we would also like a few days on the beach. We will have a car for the time we're there.

At the moment I'm thinking that maybe we should stay in a more central location (Gaslamp District, Downtown?) as we'll then be able to walk to restaurants and bars in the evening without worrying about talking the car, but during the days we'll then be able to drive and visit some of the great beaches you have on that coastline.

Does this seem a logical thing to do? Or are there areas near beaches where we'll still be able to experience a good nightlife without having to drive anywhere?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about location

I really enjoy Gaslamp District. Other options though are La Jolla or Coronado. Are you familiar with these areas? Coronado is an island, basically, and you will have to take the bridge to get back and forth, but the location is not bad, plus the beach is great, and the island is very walkable. La Jolla is north of San Diego.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about location

Hmm, well, you know, Pacific Beach and La Jolla have quite an active nightlife with the beach right there at the edge of the neighborhood. Lots of restaurants and bars walkable from the local hotels without having to drive, and some of these hotels are right on the beach.

I would only stay downtown if I were at a convention there, otherwise, I'd choose PB or La Jolla.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about location

With respect to Bay, I totally disagree. Gaslamp is not only for convention goer's.

Jules, I think you actually have a good plan, particularly b/c you know you'll be driving to one place or another. I think it's a great idea to drive to different beaches during the day and walk to your evening activities as you will not have to worry about drinking and driving.

You can certainly stay in La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Coronado as well as many other beach towns but Gaslamp is a lot of fun at night.

I wouldn't say Gaslamp is the most central but with a car, most places are easily accessible. IMO, La Jolla, directly off of I-5 is the most central for getting around but not good for walking to bars and restaurants.

So yes, I think your plan is logical.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about location

Many thankst to you all for the advice, I'm sure I'll be back asking lots more questions before we visit next year.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about location

If you decide on La Jolla, you should stay in the "village," which is the area by the La Jolla Cove and surrounded by restaurants and bars that you can VERY EASILY walk to. While nightlife is not as exciting as the Gaslamp or even Pacific Beach (with its very young party crowd), it has a charm of its own.

However, I think you'd be better off in Downtown because of the myriad choices of restaurants/bars.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about location

BTW, La Jolla is part of San Diego. It is a neighborhood of San Diego. It is north of Downtown San Diego, but it is still within the city of San Diego.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about location

The other issue with La Jolla -- while loverly, filled with great restaurants, magnificent cove etc. -- traffic and parking. Traffic in and out of the neighborhood can be really tough at certain times whether you head up over the hill to I-5 or through PB. Parking is also tough.

Downtown has parking issues as well to be sure but access is much easier and faster.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,627 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about location

I would never stay in Pacific Beach (PB), that is the 23 year olds night life scene and La Jolla is great, but has no real night life. The Gaslamp or Little Italy are far better choices for diverse night life & restaurants. Driving to the beaches is easy.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about location

tootall said what I was going to say. La Jolla Village is very charming. However, getting in and out of there going to the 5 Fwy can be bumper to bumper. You can get to downtown on backroads but that even takes some time. If you want to relax, walk around, eat out, go to the beach w/o venturing out too much it can be ideal.

Coronado is another good option. You can either drive or take the Ferry or taxi to nightlife in downtown/gaslamp/Little Italy.

However, I don't see anything wrong w/staying downtown/gaslamp/Little Italy.

10. Re: Confused about location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 18:16