We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing border

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing border

I hear I may have to cross the border to get good mexican food. Any suggestions where? Can I cross the border in a rental car? Can I walk across? If I have to waklk across - any good restaurants in walking distance?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing border

are you seriously suggesting that a restaurant owned and staffed by Mexicans in the US, with a clientele primarily of Mexicans and Centroamericanos would somehow manage to be inferior to something in Tijuana run for gringos? Whoever told you that you can't get good Mex food in California is some loca cucuracha. Just don't expect to find it at the local San Ysidro Taco Bell.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing border

I don't particularly care for the Mexican food across the border. We have a better selection in California since we have Mexican people in California from all over Mexico and you can choose the style of cooking which you like the best.

You can rent cars which may be used across the border but must state it upfront since they are covered by a different insurance.

You can walk across the border.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,341 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing border

Bogey -

You got some bad info. Whomever gave you that bit of info has never been to Southern California before.

There are so many incredible Mexican restaurants out here that crossing into Mexico for meals is ludicrous, at best.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing border

"I hear I may have to cross the border to get good mexican food."

That's hilarious. There are more great, authentic Mexican food places on the US side of the border than you can ever possibly visit.

Do not cross the border in the car. The line to get back into the US is staggeringly long. Walking is better, but you still get to do plenty of waiting.

Basically, Tijuana is a pretty lousy destination. If you want to do something interesting, and have some good south of the border Mexican food, drive over to Tecate. Walk across. The lines are shorter. The Mexicans are friendlier. It's a great little town.

Mentioned in this post
Tecate
Tecate
California
Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing border

OK - so you say I CAN get good mexican food in San Diego - but no one says where and my post re. mexican food in San Diego got exactly one reply (as opposed to the 4 here). So tell me where> PLease !

Thanks

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing border

Need info on food in San Diego?

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/3

Chowhound is to food what TripAdvisor is to travel.

7. Re: Crossing border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 12:23