We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip to Mexico? READ post here before you go!

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
89 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
A trip to Mexico? READ post here before you go!

I live in Southern California about 6 years ago my truck was stolen from a lot in Puerto Nuevo (a town about 20 minutes south of Rosarito Beach) luckily I had purchased Mexican Insurance they paid me after about 2 mos. waiting time. We were stranded down in Puerto Nuevo had to notify the Insurance company that the car was stolen, had to file a police report BEFORE the alotted time had lapsed or they wouldn't honor the agreement. There are 2 locations you have to file reports at one is in downtown Rosarito Beach and the other is in Tijuan over by the airport. Well if you vehicle has been stolen you have to rely on the grace of God to get to-and-fro each of these locations... and you better KNOW SPANISH!!

I am telling this tale now because I think people get so comfortable going down to Mexico (especially Californians) because it is just THERE. Recently (this past March) I rented a car and drove down to Puerto Neuvo again we had a friend in from Michigan and wanted to give him the experience of Mexico well the vehicle we rented had "Nevada" plates we were rolled by the local police officers they took our money BEWARE of this because we were in line to go back across the border once we had given him our money and he had moved us around several corners away from the tourist traffic he then put us back in the border line. Not 5 minutes later ANOTHER policia on a motorcycle pulls us out of the border line, I tell him that we were just put back in and that we had no more money. He then asked us WHO put us back in and verfied it on his little radio then let us go.

BEWARE if you drive your own vehicle get the Mexican Insurance, if you drive a rental car be sure to get EVERY Insurance they offer for going across the border. And last but not least if you are pulled over for any reason by a Policia try (if you can) not to let them know exactly HOW MUCH money you have on you just give them like $40.00 - $50.00 save some for yourself just in case you need to get back home.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
219 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip to Mexico? READ post here before you go!

I agree that you should purchase insurance but it's not that bad.

Make sure you don't drink and drive. Obey all the traffic signs. Don't try squeaking through a red light or rolling on a stop sign.

Try to understand why you are actually being pulled over.

Don't drive around the corner and out of sight. Stay in view of the public. By any means don't try to bribe them either.

Don't leave your car unlocked or valuables in plain sight. This is a border town. Don't forget that.

Just be careful and use good judgement.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip to Mexico? READ post here before you go!

bumping for NicMelb

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip to Mexico? READ post here before you go!

Southern CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip to Mexico? READ post here before you go!

Having driven in Mexico several times I must agree with much of this advice, [b]BUT one other IMPORTANT thing! You MUST check with the rental agent before driving a rental car into Mexico. Several rental companies DO NOT allow you to dive into Mexico.[/b]

syntaxL