We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
372 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

We are from the UK and want to go to Tijuana during our upcoming visit to California and found this Hotel. Need reviews, please. Thank you.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

Not a good idea.

Why stay there to go to Tijuana when you can stay in SanDiego and just take our lightrail electric train to the border?

Chula Vista is south of all the tourist attractions except for Tijuana. For what purpose are you planning to visit?There is no shopping there except for craft items. IF you go I suggest you go during the day, walk around, have lunch and come back.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

I agree with riffsmom that you may be better off finding a hotel in San Diego. I work near the area where the hotel you mentioned is located, and there really is not much around there other than some big box stores like Costco. The area is also somewhat blighted.

On the plus side, there is a trolley station near the hotel, which can take you north to San Diego and south to Tijuana. Also, you'll find more "real" Mexican food in the area in any of the hole-in-the-wall places.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

Totally agree with Riffsmon and Elle. No reason to stay in Chula Vista and no reason to need to be that close to Tijuana tovisit it if you must. Further away the better actually.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
372 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

Thank you to everyone .. we will stay in Downtown San Diego ....

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
126 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

You will enjoy California for sure.

Nobody stays in Chula Vista. There is virtually no tourist infrastructure there and no other reason to be there. When you make your way to San Diego, you will understand. As Gertrude Stein once remarked about her hometown, 'there is no there, there.'

If visiting Tijuana (TJ) is your plan, it makes no difference whether you stay in Chula Vista or a few miles/minutes north in downtown San Diego or its environs, and downtown has way more to offer.

On that note, you may seriously wish to rethink your idea about a visit to TJ. I have been there a million times. TJ is not what it used to be and, while probably still reasonably safe along Avenida Revolucion, the main (and only) tourist drag, TJ has been the site of so many deaths and shootings and kidnappings lately, it gives one pause.

If you do decide to cast caution to the wind and visit TJ, do not drive there and bring your passport.

Jolly good show.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
372 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

Thank you 'hello again' for the info ... we will zip over to TJ on the Trolley for the day (or a couple hours) just to get a taste ... but will take 'caution' with us. Thank you again.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
126 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

My Pleasure ES.

The trolley does not go into Mexico, as you doubtless are aware. You will need to disembark at the border and hoof it across to TJ, a short jaunt.

Once across, unless you know your way by hoof, a taxi is in order. There are zillions of them at the border crossing. The cost should be no more than 5-10 dollars.

Since you seem intent on going to TJ, which I understand, by all means do as the locals do and be sure to stop by a local 'taqueria' and order yourselves some tacos de carne asada. A cold Corona beer, or two, is certainly in order as well, though your typical taqueria won't stock beer. Sorry, no Bass Ale pints available in Mexico.

Do avoid the touristy restaurants and bars along Avenida Revolucion and do be careful at all times.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

Saying that there is no tourist infrastructure in Chula Vista and that nobody stays there is patently untrue. The area surrounding E Street at I-5, also the location of the Bayfront/E Street Trolley Station, not only has at least half a dozen motels, it also has a popular visitor information center that is open 7 days a week. And the most common question they're asked? "How do I get to Tijuana?" Surprise surprise!

With that out of the way, I'd like to point out the one should stay in Chula Vista only if a few points are met:

1. I want to stay at a hotel in downtown San Diego, but they are too expensive.

2. I would stay at a hotel outside of downtown, such as along Hotel Circle, because they are more affordable. However, I will not be renting a car and need adequate public transit service.

3. I want to stay at a hotel somewhere in San Diego, but everything is booked up due to a convention (e.g., Comic Con). Note: In this situation, Chula Vista is preferred over National City!

And with that list out of the way, I strongly suggest you only consider the Best Western on E Street (next to the Trolley), El Primero Hotel on 3rd Avenue (bus only), or if you absolutely have to the Holiday Inn Express on Main Street near I-805 (bus only). The Early California Motel on H Street, and to a lesser degree the Palomar Inn on Palomar Street, which are both near I-5 and the Trolley, are not in areas with many tourist services.

9. Re: Palomar Inn Hotel in Chula Vista

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 19:20