We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

london
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

I'm looking for a reasonable hotel - cheapish, no frills but clean and secure near Main Street and South 28th Street in San Diego

Thank you

Ant

Special Offer
Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum
379 reviews
from US$18.00*
US$23.00
San Diego Zoo
160 reviews
from US$54.00*
San Diego Harbor Dinner Cruise
98 reviews
from US$89.82*
San Diego Tour: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley
240 reviews
from US$39.95*
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

That area is block away from the Trolley (light rail) stop. That opens up your options a lot.

What is your price range?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

Your location is about 2 miles from downtown San Diego which has many hotels and motels and as mentioned, you can take the trolley from downtown to your location. I have no recommendation for an inexpensive motel downtown, although another poster might. I do, however, have a recommendation for a quality inexpensive motel in Old Town. This is also served by the same trolley, but it is about 7 miles away and the trolley would take 30+ minutes. Nevertheless, I can recommend both the motel (The EZ-8) and the Old Town area where the motel is located. Here is the TA listing for the motel tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d226602-…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

Not sure why you need to be at this location OR what your definition of "cheapish"may be.

Can you give us an idea of how much you can spend each night for lodging?

There are hostels downtown that you could use.

There is a hotel kind of 1 step up from a hostel the

500west Hotel.

Then there are what we would call "cheapish hotels"

like La Pensione just north of downtown in our Little Italy neighborhood which is about $100 per night.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

Are you permitted to stay at the Naval Lodge? It is located right in the vicinity. Otherwise, Main & 28th is a block from the Harborside Trolley Station, so you have many options.

On the affordable motel front, I recommend the Best Western on E Street at I-5 in Chula Vista. It is located right next to the Bayfront/E Street Trolley Station, which is a 10-minute drive or Trolley ride away from your destination.

If the Best Western isn't for you, there also is a Days Inn and *shiver* a Motel 6 also located on E Street at I-5.

If you would rather stay even closer, there are a couple hotels surrounding the corner of National City Blvd. and 8th Street in National City, which is a 10-minute bus ride or 5-minute drive from 28th Street. The hotels are the Holiday Inn and Bayview Inn.

london
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

Thanks to all who replied. Unfortunately I was given the wrong location!

I would like to stay near the Navy Lodge on North Island. I can't get sponsored in there at the moment, I'm not a US serviceman, however I am a former Royal Marine and once I'm in-country I'll attempt again, face to face with the reception desk.

So I'm looking for a place for one or two nights, USD 80-130 for a night, near the Navy Lodge on North Island. Happy with hotel, motel, B+B or family stay.

Places so suggested so far

Coronado Island Inn - mixed reviews, right price

La Avenida - top end of price

Any others?

Thanks again to all who posted, I will re-post with a new subject line

best

Ant

6. Re: San Diego Hotels near Main Steet and South 28th Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 14:19