We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice!

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice!

Hi,

We are planning a trip to San Diego. Flying in late Feb. 17 (9PM) and staying for 2 nights. We are a couple in our 30's traveling with a 3 and 1 year olds. We want to visit the San Diego Zoo on the 18th and the Wildlife park on the 19th. We'd like a nice hotel (3 star) at a reasonable price with shuttle service from the Airport, and possibly shuttle service the the SDZ (trying to save money on the car rental and parking fees). Any ideas or recomondations on hotels or stategies? Thanks for the help, Mike

San Diego
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice!

Hi Msecc,

San Diego is a pretty expensive city. If you stay in a relatively nice hotel downtown you will undoubtedly have to pay for valet parking. The rates will also be much higher in the city center. You can stay in Mission Valley, beach cities or easy county for less but it is farther away from all the action. I am a die-hard Embassy Suites fan. I stay there wherever I go. They have a free shuttle at the bayside location and are very family friendly. There is also one in La Jolla but it is much farther north and I do not think there is a courtesy shuttle. I heard that the Hyatt and the Wyndham are also nice but they are a bit pricey. I wouldn't stay at the Best western or the quality inn, I have heard very bad things about it. If you stay in the city center you can walk everywhere and you might not even need a car. That would also be a huge plus since the traffic in San Diego can be absolutely HORRENDOUS at times. Hope that helps. Char

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
878 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice!

We are booked at the Sommerset Suites which had many good reviews on this board and recommendations from Chissis. We are going in October with our two year old and my mom (in separate room). We will see.

California
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice!

Do you want nice and expensive? Complicated.

With two little ones, simplify. I recommend the Balboa Park Inn next to Balboa Park. It is a lovely setting. Take a taxi from the airport. It's not far. Then you are a short walk from the Zoo and the most beautiful city park in the nation. There is a very nice Children's Zoo to enjoy. Also, outside the zoo is a traditional carousel.....quite old, too. Alwasy a fun ride.

You have to drive to the Wild Animal Park. It is about 35 miles from San Diego, east of Escondido in the San Pasqual Valley. There are no shuttles.

Remember that the Zoo and Wild Animal Park are open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm in winter. With your babies, 4-5 hours is probably enough of an experience.

Been there with the babies.

Ms. Mermaid

California
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice!

Another idea. Go on Priceline.com and bid for a room. Work the budget that way.

Ms. Mermaid