We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

Having already spent time in LA, I'm looking for something a bit different. Any suggestions as to where we might spend 2 nights on our way to San Fran?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

Are you planning on driving Hiway 1 through Big Sur? Are you going to go to Hearst Castle? Planning on sightseeing in Carmel/Monterey? Are you a couple or with kids?

There are many nice places to stay between LA and SF: Santa Barbara, San Luis Opisbo, Pismo Beach, Cambria, Carmel/Monterey, Santa Cruz.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

San Luis Obispo has often been our halfway stop BUT about 30min. up the gorgeous rte 1 coastal road is Cambria our fave!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

Are you going north on highway 1, or is it 101 or maybe 5 or 99?

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

I haven't really even considered a driving route yet. I'd love to hear more suggestions. It will be my husband, self and 16 year old daughter. We love hiking, biking, sightseeing, etc. Am looking for an active vacation.

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

For more activities, plan to take the coast route.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

Coast route it is! Now tell me a great place to stay approximately halfway between SD and SF.

Thanks for all the great help.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

San Luis Obispo is your best bet for a stop halfway between SD and SF. Pismo Beach, which is close by, is a good alternative.

However, I would not recommend the trip without at least one additional overnight. With overnights in Pismo Beach and Monterey, for example, you'd be able to see the most scenic stretches of the coast at a more leisurely pace.

Routing options: There are many different variants to the coastal drive. I recommend I-5 out of San Diego, then cross over to State Route (SR) 1 in San Clemente. Zig-zag through Los Angeles and pick up SR 1 again in Santa Monica. Switch over to US 101 in Ventura, and stay on US 101 until San Luis Obispo. Take SR 1 again all the way to Monterey and SF. See here: http://tinyurl.com/bd4hqd

If you need to save time, stick to the freeway through LA, and after Monterey take SR 156 east to US 101 north to SR 85 north to I-280 north. Whatever you do, don't stay on US 101 all the way to SF! See here: http://tinyurl.com/c3nazz

P.S. Don't forget to visit Hearst Castle when you pass through San Simeon! (Be sure to book tour tickets in advance.)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

San Luis Obispo is a nice college town. If it interests you, I can make recommendations on lodging.

However, if you're looking for a more coastal experience, I suggest a night in either Pismo Beach or Cambria. Pismo Beach is a classic California beach town, while Cambria is a hamlet nestled in pine trees next to the sea.... a very cute town on the coast. www.cambriachamber.org/

Spend a second night on the Monterey Peninsula (specifically Carmel or Pacific Grove), for a wonderful stay in two very quaint and charming towns.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

If you want shopping and a college town atmosphere, then San Luis Obispo is a good place to be. It's almost dead even between L.A. and San Francisco by 250 miles in either direction. I live in the coastal town of Morro Bay (15 miles north of SLO) where you can get smoked oysters fresh cooked at the Embarcadero, rent kayaks to paddle around in the protected inner harbor, go out whale watching, hike Montana de Oro state park or watch the surfers and walk on the beach. Lots of nice motels/hotels and restaurants. Cambria is a 25 minute drive from here...beachcombing, art galleries, that kind of thing. Also plenty of nice hotels with weekday special rates, and good restaurants for all price ranges. I also work at Hearst Castle, which is a home museum with art from all over the world and beautiful views and a great stop if you're taking Hwy1.

It's slow this time of year, so not as critical to buy tickets in advance. Have a fun trip!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need nice half way point between San Diego and San Francisco

Yay! Coastal route. You are going to love it. I like the other posters recommend SLO or Morro Bay or maybe Cayucos if you want a quiet base from which to explore. For the second night I would go to Pacific Grove or Monterey.