We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation in SD

OKC
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
public transportation in SD

what is the main public transportation is SD? I mean is there a system like cable car like in SF? or just Buses?

doe they get really crowed?

thanks for helping

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transportation in SD

San Diego as a city is much more spread out than San Francisco. Our public transportation system does not equally cover all areas. We have buses and we have a small lightrail(electric train)system that covers part of the city from the Mexican border through downtown north to the Old Town area and then east through Mission Valley to San Diego State University and back across a more southerly route to downtown.

WHERE are you trying to go?

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
651 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transportation in SD

As long as you're going to the Zoo, Fashion Valley , Mission Valley, Old Town, The Border, Pacific Beach, and Mission Beach, San Diego State and a few other places, public transportation is ok. Basically if you're going to places which are pretty much in a 20 mile radius of downtown San Diego, you can make it there by bus, light rail(The San Diego Trolley) or a

combination of both. Here is a link to the transportation system site.

http://transit.511sd.com/

OKC
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transportation in SD

Thanks, and yes it will be around downtown, and I will have a car for the days that we are going outside of SD.

I want to eat at Mangu restaurant which is at the corner of Island ave and 5th, If we are at the westing gaslamp, what will be a nice rout to walk to the restaurant?

thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transportation in SD

I'd walk over to 5th and then walk down so you can see all the other restaurant possibilities along the way.

It is not far.

OKC
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transportation in SD

Thanks and from there to balboa park on Sunday, is it to far to walk, which bus should I take?

thanks

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transportation in SD

You'll want to save the walking for Balboa Park itself. Route 7 operates along Park Blvd., and Routes 3 and 120 operate along 4th/5th Avenues on the west side of the park. I recommend taking the 7 in, exploring, then eventually working your way out to the west to catch the 3 or 120 back to downtown.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transportation in SD

We are visiting in August and will do the Old Town Trolley Tour for our 1st 2 full days. It drops off/picks up at all the important parts of the city. We have done them in DC and St. Augustine and they are very well run.

8. Re: public transportation in SD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 05:34