We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

Hi

Hoping Riffsmom or another expert can help. We are in San Diego from 21 July to 25 July and have booked (in January) at Old Town Inn. I am being charged $200.00 US a night, and my son has to use a sofa bed.

I have been sent info on a special at Four Points by Sheraton at 8110 Aero Drive for $80.00 US a night.

My reason for choosing Old Town Inn was proximity to transport, but the Four Points seems to have a shuttle for transport downtown etc.

Does anyone have any feedback as to the area etc. I have read all the reviews of TA of course.

Thanks

Jodi

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

Are you sure the shuttle will take you downtown? Their website says "shuttle to surrounding area" - The Four Points is NOT near downtown

The hotel is in a business/industrial area near a small airport called Montgomery Field.

Assuming you are attending Comic Con - if you put the directions of the Sheraton and the Convention Center into Google map and select "Public Transportation" you can see how to get there via bus

it will take about an hour

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

As Native has said, the 4 POints by Sheraton on Aero Drive is not convenient unless you have a rental car.

They have a free shuttle to the airport but who knows how often it will be available or at what times of the day/night?

It is probably running a special because in summer it is not doing a lot of business.

The Old Town Inn has easy public transportation access AND is in walking distance to lots of restaurants. During Comicon they probably charge more than at other times of the year. Usually they are on of our low priced family hotels.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

Thanks for your responses.Much appreciated.

Jodi

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
7,896 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

I am sorry even though it is Comic Con while you are here but paying $200/per night for the Old Town Inn is WAY too much money.

I will do some checking for you and get back to you tonight to see what I can come up with near public transport for less $$$ and a nicer place.

You can ALSO use www.hotwire.com and pick a 4 star in downtown San Diego for around $125/per night and you will be close to public transportation....and you will not have to pay for hotel parking becuase you will not have a car. All of the 4 star hotels in downtown are nice hotels that usually go for $200/per night. Our downtown is small so you will not be lost in a huge urban downtown.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

Thanks very much 2112ps, I just think for what I am getting $200.00 per night is too much for the Old Town Inn.

I am aware that the Comic Convention is in town (not why we are there). We are a family with one 7 year old desperate to go to Legoland, and just want to do some sightseeing and get around by public transport.

I am prepared to travel to Carlsbad, and just want something central to transport etc.

Thanks again for your help.

Jodi

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
7,896 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

OK I did some checking and the Hampton Inn Sea World/Airport is $126/per night for a room with 2 queen beds for July 21-25.

This hotel is a 1/2 mile from the Old Town Inn and Old Town transit center. This hotel is nicer than the Old Town Inn and has a nice pool/jaccuzzi, free internet computers in lobby, free daily hot breakfast buffet, free HBO movie channel and free coffe/tea. This hotel also has an airport shuttle.

Hampton Inns are operated by Hilton Hotels so they are good quality places to stay.

www.hamptoninn.com

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
7,896 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

The Coster train travels to Carlsbad from the Old Town Trolley station.

I will be out of town(Las Vegas) this whole weekend(I am leaving early tommorrow morning) until Monday so Riffsmom will have to help you if you want further advice/suggestions and I am sure she will be happy to do that.

I will check up on you when I get back this Monday.

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
7,896 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

**Coaster not Coster.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

Thanks 2112ps, onto the Hampton Inn site I go now. I really appreciate your help.

Have a great weekend

Regards

Jodi

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's up with the Four Points by Sheraton

Sorry that I didn't offer to find you a less expensive hotel jodio6. I thought you wanted to be near downtown for Comicon.

Let us know what happens with the Hampton Inn.

Also am not sure if you are flying into town or taking a train down from LA or Anaheim.

IF you are traveling by train you could take the train up to Carlsbad and perhaps find a less expensive motel there.