We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving time from San Diego to LAX

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manitoba
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
driving time from San Diego to LAX

We will be leaving Sea World on Labour Day Monday after spending the day there with our family. What is the best time to travel north to LAX area. We already have a hotel booked as we leave very early tuesday am. Thanks for any advice.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving time from San Diego to LAX

I would wait until 9:00AM and plan on 2.5 hours to be on the safe side....3 hours if you drive slow and/or plan on making a stop/strecth your legs during the way....if there is traffic when you drive through Orange County, there is a toll road that will save you some time for a 20 mile stretch.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving time from San Diego to LAX

If you're leaving on Labor Day, Sept 7, 2009, you can expect heavy traffic coming back to Los Angeles after the holiday weekend. The only way to avoid the heavy traffic is to leave very early or late. I am not sure how early you would have to leave to avoid traffic, perhaps before 10am, but as early as possible. As for leaving late, probably after 8pm, but again as late as possible.

You will have the advantage of the HOV (carpool lanes from about San Clemente all the way to LAX (on the I-405) You also have an option of taking the Highway 73 toll road for a part of the trip (around $4 to $5)which may or may not be advantageous.

Listen to AM radio station 1070 which will provide frequent traffic reports see www.knx1070.com

Also, see www.sigalert.com for real time traffic map.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,362 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving time from San Diego to LAX

Agreed about missing the late morning into afternoon time on Labor day, but since you plan on spending the day at Sea World and your fight is not until Tuesday you can wait. Id do Sea World, eat dinner then get on the road. With no traffic that drive is right around 2 hours.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving time from San Diego to LAX

Thanks everybody. I would like to leave later in the evening, like at 8pm if possible. Thank you for all you tips.

5. Re: driving time from San Diego to LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 07:20