We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Season for Lego Land?

Erie, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Off Season for Lego Land?

Hello All,

My family wants to plan a trip to Legoland for our 4 and 5 year old. We are very flexible with our trip dates and we're wondering when would be the least busiest time to go. The kiddos won't have much patience for waiting in line. Also, do you have to stay at one of the hotels on site to get the full affect or is it just as easy to stay of site?

Any other advice on Legoland would be greatly appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,939 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off Season for Lego Land?

Hi trac1313, Welcome to the forums.

Not sure if there's tons of lines but here's the prob.

I'd expect fewer people to go in say January but then the water play area might not be as much fun because it could be chilly and/or rainy.

You can't have everything.

I think our best weather is in September and the beginning of October. I'd expect those months to be reasonable in terms of crowds too. It is not like Disneyland. I don't think there are hotels IN Legoland.

There are tons of hotels nearby in the town of Carlsbad and of course more hotel/motels all throughout San Diego County.

I'd hate to have you come from Colorado and not see some of San Diego itself.

We have other stuff for your kiddos to see and do like the zoo and the interactive science museum and the tidepools at low tide, and seals and pelicans in their native environments and on and on.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off Season for Lego Land?

Mid September to beginning of November during the week is a great time for Legoland. Schools are back in session and most summer vacations are over. Lines are generally not overly long at Legoland, but during this time there are NONE. My kids were there first week in Novemebr and walked right on every ride. Zero lines! There is a newer Sheraton next to Legoland. It has a bit of an entrance to the park. But Legoland is not like Disney, you don't stay on property. No hotels for that. And as Legoland is a 1 day thing, pick a hotel that suits the rest of your trip not just that day at Legoland.

Be sure to check the Legoland web site for the calender of open times, it changes in the fall.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off Season for Lego Land?

starting in Sept the park is closed on Tues & Wed. Plan you trip accordingly. It really is a one day park so I wouldn't worry about staying on site - but if you want to - there are two options:

From the Legoland website:

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort & Hotel

A perfect vacation for adults and children, Grand Pacific Palisades Resort & Hotel is located adjacent to LEGOLAND® California.

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa

The spectacular Sheraton Resort & Spa Carlsbad Resort & Spa is located adjacent to LEGOLAND California Resort and offers a private entrance to the Park

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off Season for Lego Land?

Just FYI neither Grand Pacific or Sheraton are "on sight". They are just the 2 closest hotels to Legoland. The nicest resorts in the Legoland area are La Costa Resort and The Four Seasons Aviara. But as said earlier, why not stay in San Diego proper so you can see more of the city.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off Season for Lego Land?

If you visit the Legoland website there is a calendar the will show you the days and hours for off-season. Depending on when you go, Legoland closes for some days during off season, and the park hours are reduced.

I've been a passholder at Legoland for years and even during the busiest summer days the waits are not that long. The longest lines do not compare to lines at Disneyland.

As the previous poster noted, there are no Lego hotels, although one is in the works. Pacific Palisades is across the street, but still a long walk to the gate. The Sheraton is down the street and offers shuttle service.

You may get more replies if you re-post your question in the CARLSBAD forum, rather than San Diego. Legoland is not in San Diego.

6. Re: Off Season for Lego Land?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 06:18