We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday in San Diego

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday in San Diego

We will only have one day (a Sunday in early January) to visit San Diego. We will be a group of 4 (one possibly still in a wheelchair from a parachute mishap) ages 60 & 28.

What would be some hightlights not to miss in the city? I'm thinking we would want to spend our time near the waterfront? Any suggestions for a nice dinner (not too pricey or fancy $20-$25 entree price) near a yet unbooked airport hotel. Thanks in advance for your help.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday in San Diego

The Bay front is a nice idea and a nice walk. Have a look at this website for what's there. Many people really enjoy the USS Midway.

http://www.thebigbay.com/

Anthony's Fish Grotto is ok and within your price range on the water. I don't like the atmosphere but I'm not a tourist. They also have a take out area.

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/sdgrotto.pdf

Further down is Seaport Village which is a typical tourist shopping center but it's on the waterfront and is pleasant. They have restaurants (usually mediocre but on the water) and they also have a food court. I don't know about Cmas time but Sunday's there's usually music, outdoor vendors, etc.

http://www.seaportvillage.com/

I just checked Dec and it looks like they'll have entertainment...

seaportvillage.com/entertainment/index.php…

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday in San Diego

It is hard to beat Balboa Park on a Sunday. Free organ concerts, lots of street entertainers... the lawn programs will not be at the International Cottages, but the cottages will be open.

Plus strolling the park, visiting museums and gardens are all good options.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday in San Diego

Thank you both for your replies. I will definately check out your suggestions.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday in San Diego

Are you coming in from a cruise??

On the water for dining is the Fish Market, Anthony's, although I am not a big fan of the main restaurant, the little take out section with seating on the pier is great.

There is also a pub across the street in the Holiday Inn.

Little Italy is close with great dining and would be a good place to book a hotel (look at La Pensione, the Residence Inn and Hampton Inn).

Sea Port Village has sit down places that I find touristy, but the Mexican & Greek "fast foodish" places are really good.

Kansas City Barbeque, close to Sea Port Village is where Tom Cruise sang That Loving Feeling to Kelly McGillis in Top Gun and has pretty good food.

The Gaslamp Quarter simply has too many places to mention.

http://www.gaslamp.org/directory/dining.html

Other nice hotels might be the Hilton Bayfront or Hotel Indigo. They are in/near the Gaslamp.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday in San Diego

No, we will be coming to San Diego and staying over on Sunday night for our early monday morning fight home after spending 10 days in Temecula. (no cruise for this gal...I've tried it a couple of times and decided I was too young :::grin::::)

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday in San Diego

Love the Tom Cruise and Top Gun reference...I love going to places that I have seen on the big screen. It's kinda fun to do. Thanks for the tip.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday in San Diego

10 days in Temecula? Visiting family?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday in San Diego

You make it sound like 10 days in Temecula is too much.....but from what I hear there are lots and lots and lots of wineries to visit. :::grin:::

Actually it is a gathering of 11 family members -inlaws/outlaws renting 2 adjoining houses with game room/hot tub/gourmet kitchen etc. (basically 4 parents from 3 families with their adult inter-married children). Only 4 of us are flying out of San Diego. (The rest are leaving from LA)

My husband & I and our 25 yo daughter and her fiance are looking for something to fill that last day between leaving the house in Temecula and our flight the next day.

I love all the ideas I have heard so far...and have been taking notes! Whatever we end up doing..I will post a trip report when I return home. Keep the ideas coming!

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday in San Diego

If you're staying near the airport, I'm going to echo earlier posters... Gaslamp or Seaport Villiage will keep the family quite busy and entertained... and FULL! Check out the brand new Hilton San Diego Bayfront. A beautiful upscale hotel and you can get some good rates for the dates you plan to be in town.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday in San Diego

Well I hope you report back about your time in Temecula - although you'd have to tie it into your time in SD so you can post it here. Also would be interested in where you end up staying, etc. in SD.

I'm very curious to find out how you like spending 10 days in Temecula....

Also, is someone local and that's how Temecula was picked? I understand that the main point is for the families to be together for the holidays. It doesn't really matter where you are. (I don't mean that in a negative way)

I'm Just being curious now....