We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Califia's Magical Circle

Hartford...
Level Contributor
515 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Califia's Magical Circle

I saw mention of this in my internet wanderings. I see it is in Kit Carson Park in Escondido? how far from downtown? Worth a visit?

Thanks in advance.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,341 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Califia's Magical Circle

HI there, You sure are finding all the things I have never heard of!!

Escondido is on your way from Palm Springs to San Diego.

It is about 40min. from downtown near the Wild Animal Park.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Califia's Magical Circle

I've never even heard of it!

Looks like something that you could just get out of the car and look at for a few minutes. But I certainly wouldn't make a special trip if it's going to take away from the very short time that you're going to be here in San Diego. Your time is limited here as it is. Sorry, I sound like I'm discouraging you. If it's something that you really want to do than go.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Califia's Magical Circle

The sculptures in Queen Califia's garden are by artist Nikki de Saint Phalle. There are three public (outdoor) pieces of Nikki de Saint Phalle art in Balboa Park. Two at the Mingei Museum (the "Nikki-gator" and "Poet and Muse") and another sports inspired piece outside the Hall of Champions.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
515 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Califia's Magical Circle

elizzie: Don't feel like you are discouraging me. I just figured I would throw some things out there and get some honest opinion from people. Often time when you see something of interest on-line, especially if they are kinda off-the-wall or classifed as a 'roadside oddity'--you have to be very careful. These type of things if neglected, can look pretty sad. I'm thinking in particular something that was very popular in our state years ago: ' Holy Land' in Waterbury. In it's hey day it was quite an attraction--Bethlehem in miniature. So even you you weren't particulary religious--it was neat to see. It is all but gone now...but I see you can still find it on internet searches.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Califia's Magical Circle

I haven't read your other posts about how long you are going to be in San Diego or what else you have on your agenda, but I do think that if you are in the area or passing through, it's definitely worth a stop! The sculptures are beautiful, there are some awesome photo opportunities- we actually did a family photo shoot there for my mom's 70th birthday. If you are going to the Wild Animal Park or Temecula wineries during your stay, give yourself some time to check it out. The Magical Circle is a little bit hidden within the park- if you exit 15 North at Via Rancho and turn right, you'll travel east until you see San Pasqual High School on your right. You'll turn left at that light (I believe it says Kit Carson Park on the street sign), then go straight until the road ends at the duck pond. Turn right, then make a left about 200 yards down. There's a parking lot at the end of that road that is at the end of the path leading to Queen Califia.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen Califia's Magical Circle

Well, snce you're going to be in Temecula so long it sounds like it's something you can do from there !

7. Re: Queen Califia's Magical Circle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 05:21