We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel La Jolla in December

Bala Cynwyd
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel La Jolla in December

I will be in San Diego (Mission Beach) for the last week in December.

Is snorkeling at La Jolla feasible? I have a wet suit.

I would like to go from the beach without a tour.

Where would be a good, preferably sheltered spot?

Which tide (high or low) is best?

Any info would be appreciated.

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Five Star Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
GoCar Tours San Diego
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel La Jolla in December

Normally La Jolla Cove is the best snorkeling spot - as it is an underwater preserve. That said this is winter - and one storm can change the ocean conditions so that the Cove take direct hits from incoming surf.

Make sure you talk with the lifeguards before you enter the water. They also will have conditions posted near the lifeguard tower - includes water temp, visibility, and surge.

I don't have a personal preference over low or high tide at the cove - unless the tide is REALLY low - then you're better off tide-pooling!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel La Jolla in December

As NativeSoCal said, water and visibility conditions change with the weather. Snorkeling at the Cove will be fine if the weather is clear. Visibility is rarely more than 15 feet, even on the best days. And definitely bring your wetsuit because the water will be COLD!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel La Jolla in December

The Cove is great, you don't need to go far to see the Garibaldi, they are about three strokes into the water. Also don't be alarmed when the seals come check you out.

DO avoid the cave!

http://tinyurl.com/yaue22n

4. Re: Snorkel La Jolla in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 05:16