We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

Hi, excuse my ignorance but I’m a it confused. We’re planning a trip which starts with a few nights in Vegas, then onto LA and finishing up driving to San Diego. In between LA and San Diego, we’d like to do a day and night in the Disneyland area and drive through Laguna etc. Am I right/wrong in thinking that we could go from Hollywood (Renaissance hotel) to Disneyland (and stay for a night) then driving from there to San Diego (where we plan to spend 3-4 nights)? I think I’ve got it wrong and Anaheim isn’t on the way to San Diego so please someone correct me if I have. Any advice on our itinerary would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Also, can anyone recommend any good hotels in San Diego please? We’re a mid-twenties couple who would like to visit the zoo and SeaWorld while we’re in SD. We’ll have a car but we don’t want to be too far away from the beach and shops.

We are thinking of visiting mid-late June and we’re coming from the UK.

Thanks again

Edited: 11 January 2010, 15:22
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,829 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

You are not mistaken. Anaheim is between Hollywood and San Diego and not out of the way.

Id recommend you stay on the beach or downtown depending on your preference. Downtown you will have more bars, restaurants and hotel choices and be on the bay, but only 10 minutes from the beach. On the beach you will have less hotel options and depending on where you chose not as many bar and restaurants.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,939 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

HI MazzyAuds. You have got it perfectly RIGHT! You can stay in LA/Hollywood etc. Then drive down to Anaheim and stay overnight. Then continue south and to the coast to have lunch/brunch in Laguna Beach on your way to San Diego.

That is a perfect idea! Perhaps it would make you feel better if you looked at a California map??

There are tons of different spots for hotels in San Diego since you have a car.

I don't remember WHEN you are coming? Also am not sure of your budget in actual numbers?? BTW there are other things to see besides animal parks here in San Diego since you'll be here several nights.

There are many hotels along the beach in Pacific Beach.

This area also has low key restaurants and bars. You can always drive to malls for shopping as the area has some local stores but not REAL malls.

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

Wow, that was quick – thanks. Okay, at least I wasn’t being completely stupid then! We’re thinking of coming mid-late June and our budget is not huge but not tiny if that makes sense. We’re looking to stay somewhere with a good location but that also has a pool and is clean – we’re staying at the Bellagio in Vegas and the Renaissance in Hollywood – if that helps demonstrate the kind of places we go to. I haven’t researched many hotels in SD to be honest because I wasn’t sure where to start but I definitely like the idea of having the shops and restaurants within better walking distance. We will have a car but we don’t really want to be reliant on it to get form A to B every day.

What else do you suggest aside from the zoo and sea world? We like to do most things, although after the itinerary I’ve planned we’ll probably need a good bit of rest too:-)

Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,939 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

Staying in our downtown gaslamp area sounds like it would be fun for you.

See:

www.gaslamp.org

You might enjoy the pool level suites at the Solamar with their whirlpool tub etc. There are lots of other hotels for you to look at on the web site as well.

The only downside to that area is unless there is a "special" deal at a hotel , parking will cost you about $30per night extra.

In the beach area I mentioned above the nicest most modern hotels are the Tower 23 and the Pacific Terrace. The Catamaran is an older hotel with a Polynesian feel and although the rooms might be a little faded the location is really pretty.

As for other things to do:

While you are downtown--bay cruise, bayfront shops,ships to visit

On your way from Laguna or instead of stopping there stop in our La Jolla neighborhood. Visit Torrey Pines State Park and/or the TorreyPines Gliderport where you can watch them take off from the cliffs and go tandem with an instructor if you dare.

There's also La Jolla COVE with its seals and pelicans right at the small rock enclosed beaches. It's a great romantic place for a meal.

Also the zoo is located IN Balboa Park which is a beautiful place with its gardens, small museums , outdoor entertainment, small artisan shops , live theater etc.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

Also, are you flying home from LA or SD? If the answer is LA, then Las Vegas- SD - Anaheim - LA will be a lot less backtracking. The major highway through LV, I-15, skirts the far eastern suburbs of the LA area then goes directly to SD.

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

Kennish, I hadn't thought of that and no one has suggested that so far. I suppose as we have to fly out of LA it makes more sense to finish up there. I'll check the flights from Vegas to SD and see what the prices are like - if they're good then I'd definately consider doing the trip this way around! Thanks for that.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

Excellent suggestion from kenish. I'd make my last stop LA if you're flying home from LAX.

8. Re: First time in San Diego -need help with planning trip please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 05:18