We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with building a budget?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Help with building a budget?

Hi there,

Myself and my lovely fortnight away in Cali/Vegas at the beginning of August. Im trying to pull together a budget for it all. Our route is Santa Monica (4 Nts)-SAN DIEGO(4 Nts) – Vegas (5 Nts).

With this in mind can you helpful people please offer an average for the price of breakfast, lunch and 3 course dinner. Also the average price of beer, liquor with mixer and wine? I know it all depends where we are eating drinking but Im basically looking for a central average for all prices.

Thanks very much, your posts are very informative

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with building a budget?

It is very difficult to come up with averages for all the things you ask.

IF you pick hotels carefully , you may find that breakfast is included in the hotel price. There are chain restaurants here like Dennys and other local places where one can get a full breakfast for under $6 of course there are other places where you can spend MUCH more!!! You will also need to remember that here in the USA it is customary to add a tip of about 15% onto the price of each meal in a normal sit down restaurant(not a buffet or fastfood like McDonalds. You don't need to bring cash with you to pay for all this.

You can bring a debit/ATM card and withdraw dollars while you are here OR you can load a travel debit card and use that.

You can buy wine/beer very inexpensively at supermarkets here so you don't need to just drink at bars/pubs. I hope other UK travelers will help you but I don't know how to give you an average for dinner etc.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with building a budget?

Thank for your imput, i understand that its hard to put a figure on it. I suppose Im thinking of a reasonably but not up market restaurant meal in the evening with a snack at lunch and something along the lines of a Dennys or Wendys for B'fast. Drinks wise Im looking at a standard bar!

Thanks again

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with building a budget?

Hmmm? I suppose you could get salad and main course for about $30.

You must remember that the portions here are quite large and it is considered normal to ask for the leftovers to take home. Sooo we might sometimes share a first course salad and then order main dish(which usually comes with veggies,potato/rice) for each of us. It varies greatly with the type of food and the restaurant. I may order a glass of wine for dinner and pay $6-$8 for it.

There are "happy hours" though where you can get various drinks/beer for much less and there will be small portions of food too.

I'll stop now and let others who are better with numbers and budgets help you further.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,000 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with building a budget?

Breakfast I usually spend about $10 when ordering off a menu at a sit down restaurant. Of course a breakfast burrito at Los Ponchos is only about $5.

Lunch-Off a menu $15, a quick sandwich, chips and drink at a deli a little less.

Dinner-3 course meal and drink of course this depends on where you go but low average $30.

Beer-$5-$5.50 a pint Happy hour usually a buck less.

Liquor and wine- $8 or $9/drink give or take a few $$

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with building a budget?

In November I budgeted $300 dollars a day and $150 was roughly for food and drink. I did keep a travel log so here goes

In San Diego, day 1

hotel breakfast , pancakes & bacon and sausage, orange juice and coffees approx $40 including tip.

Lunch at San Diego zoo was fresh fruit bowl to share, bag of lays, choc chip cookies and cokes $20,

coffee Starbucks, $8?,

Hard Rock Cafe, 2 courses , cokes and margarita $50.

Day 2 zoo breakfast , coffees, egg muffins $20,

Lunch Ben & jerry's ice cream at Seaport Village and water & coke $15, Cheesecake Factory for dinner $65.

Day 3 airport Starbucks, coffees and scone $13

In Las Vegas

Day 1

Crisps and juice from Walgreens $10

Hard Rock Cafe $63

Day 2

Food Court Venetian $15, coffees, sausage and egg muffins

Norstrom Cafe $15 crackers and cheese and grapes, orange juice, cranberry juice

California Pizza Kitchen $60ish

Starbucks $12

Day 3

Mirage room service breakfast, bucks fizz, pancakes, fruit platter $70

Roasted Bean Cafe $14

Walgreens $5

BB Kings $80

day 4

$15 brunch at airport

We are not big drinkers so add on drinks bill. hope this helps.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with building a budget?

I am only posting in response to the food part of your budget. I would suggest eating at reasonably priced to cheap places everywhere but Vegas. There are many places that two can eat for 25 to 30 bucks. Las Vegas is actually the most expensive city in the country to eat at now. However, it also has some of the best restaurants outside of New York. There are many place in Vegas that have seasonal Prix fixe menus that are actually quite affordable and I would encourage branching out. Rosemarys is one of the best restaurants in Vegas. It is off the strip but if u are there on a wednesday, ladies eat and drink for half price. If you need other advice on places in vegas just mail me and i will respond

7. Re: Help with building a budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 05:15