We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which theme park to visit?

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Which theme park to visit?

We are coming to US in Sept and have 4 niights in Hollywood and 6 nights in Anaheim with a 5 day disney hopper pass. We have factored in that we will probably have one day free and were thinking of visiting San Diego for the day but are not sure if we should go to the zoo, Sea World or Legoland as each has mixed reviews. We have 11 and 9 boys. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which theme park to visit?

Are you set on having 5 days at Disney? I can't imagine needing 5 days to see Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure!

Here is a list of major Southern California theme parks:

-Disneyland

-Disney's California Adventure

-Knott's Berry Farm

-Universal Studios

-Six Flags Magic Mountain

-Sea World

-Legoland

-San Diego Zoo (not really a theme park per se, but you know...)

If you opt for the 3-day park hopper pass, you will be able to see everything (and I do mean everything) at the two Disney parks. Then you can invest one day at Knott's or Legoland, one day at Sea World, and one day at the Zoo (6 days total). Or if you get just the 2-day park hopper pass, which will allow you to see almost everything, you can go to Knott's *and* Legoland.

The nice thing about reducing the time you spend at Disney is that you will be able to get a breath of air, as it will be tiring to go to Disneyland day after day and to theme parks in general day after day. Sea World and the Zoo are sufficiently different from the others, and Knott's and Legoland are obviously themed quite differently from the Disney properties. Plus if you visit any of these other parks you may be able to finish up in time to have dinner in town rather than at the theme park. (This is more likely to happen at the Zoo and less likely to happen at Sea World.)

Universal Studios is worth a visit but should be seen as part of your stay in Hollywood.

Also, San Diego is not very close to Anaheim, so I recommend spend at least a night down there if you opt to see two or more of Sea World, the Zoo, and Legoland. (Legoland is between Anaheim and San Diego.) Knott's is close to Anaheim, so no hotel change is needed for it.

At the very least please reduce your time at Disney to 4 days. Take a break in the middle and go to Knott's instead!!

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which theme park to visit?

I don't think Legoland is the place to go for you and your children after Disneyland. San Diego is not a "theme park" city like Anaheim.

It is a large lovely city with a lot to see and do AND in addition it has some animal parks +Legoland.

IF your children are interested in sea animals and want to have interactions with them then you can go to Sea World. IF your children are interested in animals from around the world then go to the zoo. Do not go if they just want amusement park rides.

IF you'd like to visit a lovely city with scenery, sea life at our beaches,ships to visit, etc. then come and stay overnight in San Diego.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which theme park to visit?

For me if you are going to San Diego for a day just see the city it's a lovely place,I wouldn't say 5 days is too much in Anaheim,we spent nearly 3 weeks there a few years ago & loved every minute but then we're all different!

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which theme park to visit?

Thanks for the advice guys, I was more interested in what people thought about those attractions in San Diego. The reviews seemed to be really mixed.

We have visited San Diego once back in 1994 and only had lunch and drive through on our way to Tijuana. We are leaning more towards the Zoo or Sea World at this stage as I think they may be passed enjoying Legoland. Thanks for the LA tips - we have already booked Universal and have simply booked the 5 day hopper for DL as it wasn't much dearer than the 3 day so it gave us flexibilty for coming and going over the time we were in Anaheim. We also went to Knott's Berry Farm in '94 and were underwhelmed with it after going to DL so will probably opt for something else at this stage but we are flexible.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which theme park to visit?

I would probably opt for the San Diego Zoo over Sea World, the SD Zoo is one of the world's finest, but I am not sure it is worth the drive there and back from Anaheim.

I think instead I would use the free day to go to Laguna Beach in Orange County. the boys could swim and play on the beach, dad can nip into Hennesy's for a pint of Guiness and mom can shop 'til she drops all in a three block radius of Main Beach.

http://www.lagunabeach.com/

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Orange County
Orange County
California
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which theme park to visit?

You will probably get a lot of mileage with your time in Hollywood, definitely DO Universal, have lunch in Hollywood, go to the Kodak Theatre and walk down Hollywood Blvd. You can also get a map and try and stalk out star's homes in Belair and Beverly Hills!

Do a 2-3 day pass in Anaheim, Go to Corona Del Mar Beach (not far from Anaheim), and Huntington Beach.

Definitely spend at least 2 days in SD. The Zoo is a must, even if you don't like zoo's and Sea World is amazing, not to mention all the other wonderful things to do there!

Hope this helps, have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
7. Re: Which theme park to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 07:18