We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

Save Topic
Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

Im doing a degree at university currently and i am taking a trip to San Diego with my university..

I was wondering where the good places to visit are whilst i am there (in my free time) ?

Which places to steer clear from?

What else i can do while i am there..unfortunately i wont be able to go to local towns or cities closeby as it is a fairly organised trip

Thanks for anyone that contributes

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,699 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

HI princess, Welcome to the forums. I think we need to know exactly where you will be staying when you are here as the area is a large one and public transportation is not uniformly available everywhere.

Save Reply
2. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

i think we are staying in the university accommodation over there..

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
654 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

Please be more specific. There are several major Universities in the area:

UCSD is La Jolla

SDSU is near Del Cerro

USD is in LInda Vista

PLNU is in the Point Loma area.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Point Loma
Point Loma
1,716 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

sorry its SDSU..

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,699 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

Lucky you! Our lightrail electric train that we call the trolley has a station at SDSU. It can take you to the Fashion Valley Mall, and to Old Town.

In Old Town there are little shops and buildings to show "old San Diego" There are some restaurants there too.

You might take the hop on hop off bus that looks like an old fashioned trolley car. See: www.trolleytours.com this is different from the light rail and will take you to some interesting places around the city.

IF you want you can also go on the lightrail to Old Town and change for the BLUE LINE lightrail which will take you downtown where we have our bayfront, Balboa Park and our zoo. Who knows, your school trip may have some of this planned for you. Not sure how old you are but here you can only buy alcohol or beer if you are OVER 21.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,025 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,655 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Save Reply
6. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

thank you :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,098 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

As Riff said the Trolley is right there and will take you to a couple of malls (Fashion Valley and Mission Valley) Old Town (shops and restaurants) and the Gas Lamp Quarter (more shops, malls, clubs and restaurants).

The drinking age in the U.S. is 21 years so you wouldn't be able to drink or even get into some clubs if you are under 21, but there are still plenty of places to go.

The trolley can also get you close to Balboa Park with lots of museums including a couple of great art museums.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,025 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,655 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

There's also the world-famous Zoo (adjacent to Balboa Park) and if you're into music the Spreckles Organ at the park gives weekend concerts, weather permitting.

Mexico is unfortunately a place to definitely avoid right now. Your SDSU hosts will probably give ample warnings if not an outright prohibition.

Edited: 22 February 2010, 21:24
Mentioned in this post
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,655 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Mexico
Mexico
North America
9. Re: Would like some advice please as i will be visiting SanDiego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 07:16