We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre & Post Cruise Hotel

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Topic
Pre & Post Cruise Hotel

My DH & I are cruising from SD in April. I would love to stay in Coronado, but we always have lots of luggage & I'm afraid that wouldn't be a practical choice. What's you opinion on that? Also, it has been suggested that we stay at the Holiday Inn - On the Bay, but the BW - Bayside is about $50 per night cheaper, & gets similar reviews.

This would be for one night before & one night after our cruise. What we are looking for: **Clean room** & restaurant, etc. within walking distance, safe area, & convenient to the airport & port. We probably wouldn't be interested in anything less than 3 stars, unless it was an exceptionally nice 2 1/2*. We are open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :-)

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre & Post Cruise Hotel

Both the Holiday Inn on the Bay and BestWestern Bayside are probably 2 star hotels, not any higher. Both are safe, clean, great locations, good areas, and easy walking distance to the bay, shops, and many restaurants. Either would be a fine place to stay before or after a cruise, and are close to the airport and walking distance to the cruise terminal.

If you're looking for a higher rated hotel, I would still recommend hotels in the same area for convenience - you might look at the Marriott Marina, Manchester Grand Hyatt, Wyndham Emerald Plaza, or Embassy Suites - all also right downtown by the bay, close to the cruise terminal, quick taxi or bus from the airport, safe area, lots of restaurants in easy walking distance. www.thebigbay.com

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre & Post Cruise Hotel

PS I don't see a problem with staying in Coronado, you would just need to take a taxi to your hotel from the airport (probably around $20), and one to and from the cruise terminal. If you want to stay on Coronado - one of my favorite places - I would recommend that you do so, as it is an exceptionally wonderful area.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre & Post Cruise Hotel

Thanks Chissis! :-) It's great to see that staying Coronado won't be a huge inconvenience. I appreciate the suggestions for other hotels near the port. I'm not sure the HI & BW sound like the best choice for us. I'll check out your other suggestions, but I'm now leaning toward staying in Coronado, for at least 1 of our nights, if not both.