We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

Saint Louis...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

Has anyone done both zoos? We live in St Louis and LOVE our great FREE zoo. We are heading to San Diego and everyone keeps saying you have to do the zoo...What do you think? How do they compare? Is the SD zoo really that much better?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

I can't comment on the differences because I've never been to the St. Louis zoo. It sounds like you are happy with the zoo in Saint Louis, so your time and money spent in San Diego might be better spent on other things to see and do. The San Diego Zoo has an impressive collection of animal life, including giant pandas from China, koalas from Australia and many rare and endangered animals. The management has slowly been converting it from a traditional cage/enclosure type of zoo to one based on whole environments that you can walk through, examples of which are Tiger River, Gorilla Tropics, Monkey Trails and the new Elephant Odyssey. There is also the lush Fern Canyon and two huge walk-through aviaries with many rare birds. There are also large cats to see and quite a few types of bears and hoof/horn animals. You can take a bus tour that covers 70% of the zoo and/or just walk around on your own. There is a Skyfari tram ride to get from one side of the zoo to the other, and there are animal presentations at 2 ampitheaters. They have a very good Children's Zoo which is worth seeing even if you don't have any kids with you. If there are any newborn animals they are often visible in the nursery there. The zoo is also a botanical garden with a great variety of vegetation including tropical and subtropical plantings. The zoo is located in the Balboa Park area of San Diego, and in the vicinity of the zoo are 15 museums and various gardens (and all the gardens are free except the Japanese garden). There are concerts and cultural events on a daily basis. Even if you decide not to go to the zoo itself, you still may enjoy Balboa Park as it has a lot to see. I would go there on weekdays as it is very crowded on weekends. http://balboapark.org

San Diego...
Level Contributor
141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

I have never been to the St Louis zoo but I have been to 6 others and they do not compare to the San Diego. San Diego is magical. I love the landscaping and the way the animals are spread out. It's worth a visit. I like the zoo so much that in the summer I walk it everyday for my daily exercise.

Please wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for some hills. It's a great place.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

Even all the way over here in Denmark we always hear that the San Diego Zoo is the best in the world and a must see.

We are going for sure cant wait to see it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

The zoo here is a non profit research organization so it needs fees to help support it. They do a lot of breeding with endangered species.

San Diego has many other things to see and do so if you don't want to spend a day at the zoo , please don't feel pressed to do so.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

Just had a look at the St Louis Zoo web site. It looks quite lovely so if you'd like to spend time getting to know our city rather than at the zoo I think that would be just fine!

BTW , ENTRANCE to your zoo is free but they charge for parking,and for other activities that you might want to do while inside.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

http://www.americasbestonline.com/zoos.htm

here is a survey talking about best zoos

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

No opossum or musk rats at the SD Zoo...... JUST KIDDING...

It isn't just the animals on display, but how they are displayed. Very innovative enclosures. I love the polar bears and don't get the pandas everyone loves, they just lay there.... You can get nose to nose with a silver back gorilla.

The SD Zoo is the leading zoo in the world for trying to help endangered species. Gone are the exhibits of my youth, waving bears, timber wolves and Rocky Mtn Big Horn sheep to be replaced by more exotic species in need of saving.

I do miss the waving bear that loved white bread.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

scott you may miss the bear, I miss the cockatoo that was a greeter at the front gate for so long! Absolutely amazing that we have 2 of the top 3 zoos.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

I have been to five of the top rated zoos in the U.S. , San Diego, Lincoln Park and Brookfield in the Chicago area, St. Louis and the Milwaukee County Zoo. All have great attributes but I would rank San Diego a slight favorite above Milwaukee and Brookfield simply because of the lush tropical landscaping the zoo has everywhere. If you enjoy zoos, you really should check it out.

10. Re: Zoo? St Louis vs San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 05:17