We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea front restaurant

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Sea front restaurant

Can anyone recommend a nice sea front restaurant in between north of San Diego city up to south of Los Angeles for a nice sunset meal. We sre staying in Escondido. We are not fish eaters so that may limit us.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea front restaurant

Here's one with a wide menu:

http://www.jakesdelmar.com/

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea front restaurant

Thank you. Would you expect to be able to sit outside around sunset time in late September?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea front restaurant

September is actually the nicest month to visit so YES , I'd expect to be able to sit outside!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea front restaurant

Are you traveling to Los Angeles? "north of San Diego to south of Los Angeles" is about a 90 mile spread and there are several really good restaurants along the coast in Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Long Beach and more.

September is generally the nicest month of the year, sitting outside anyplace shouldn't be a problem.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea front restaurant

We are staying at the Welk resort near Escondido.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea front restaurant

Yes but you mentioned LA, Are you stopping for dinner before you drive up there?

If so like Scott said there are many beach communities between San Diego and LA and you might want to have dinner closer to your LA destination. Here are a couple more if you were heading N.

In N San Diego county about 3 miles N of Jakes in Del Mar is the Chart House in Cardiff. That dining room has great views. http://www.chart-house.com/

In Orange County about 35 miles N of Cardiff is The Fisherman in San Clemente. It's on pier, casual with outdoor seating and sunset happy hours.

http://www.thefishermansrestaurant.com/

Both are primarialy seafood, but like most that are they have steaks, chicken, and other meat entrees.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea front restaurant

The Beach House in Cardiff

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea front restaurant

I think my geography is not that good. I am not sure where the boundary of LA stops going towards the south. Happy to drive an hour or so for the right place. It is like to be the one and only time that we will be able to visit the area. In hindsght I wish we had decided to spend more time in the area than going to Vegas for 6 nights.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea front restaurant

6 nights in Vegas?!?!? Oh yes you would have been much better off spending more time in San Diego.

Are you planning on going to this restaurant from Escondido and than back to the hotel, OR are you stopping on the way to LA, as you mention that. I am confused. Know that from your hotel to the beach is going to take about 40 minutes. You are still in San Diego County, but very inland.

Both Riff and Pb have given you 2 great places for ocean front dining.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea front restaurant

The Marine Room in the La Jolla area of San Diego is an oceanfront restaurant, literally. At times of high tide, waves splash against the windows right next to you. It's expensive, but the food is very good. http://www.marineroom.com/