We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

vancouver
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Topic
What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

Just wondering what your top 3 places to get fish tacos are in San Diego?

THanks

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

There are lots of good places. I like El Zarape, Ortega's and Mama Testa's.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

Rubios, Rubios and Rubios

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

South Beach Bar & Grille, on Newport Avenue in Ocean Beach. Nationally known for their fish tacos. As it is a bar, 21 and over only. Happy hours when prices are lower, but it's jam-packed during that time. They accept cash only! http://southbeachob.com/

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,063 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

I had my very first fish taco at Rubio's years ago and loved it. I notice it is not mentioned much here....why is that?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

Probably because it's a chain and lacks the character of a mom-and-pop eatery or single-location place. Rubio's food is good, but eating there has a bit of a corporate feel, in my opinion. Like eating at Taco Bell but with better food.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 00:04
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,657 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

I agree nothing wrong with Rubios but since they are on every block most people just like with any other chain think to other places 1st when discussing best. Rubios has alot of good things on their menu I just dont think anything is best including their fish tacos compared to other places.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

I think one of the best things about San Diego and fish tacos being the 'official' local food - is that you can get them in the most unlikely places...you don't need to find a Mexican restaurant to find fish tacos.

Point Loma Seafood - while I'm not a huge fan of their seafood (not big into fried fish) their fish tacos are awesome - both grilled and fried

The Brigantine - I think only on the lunch menu...excellent

A funny spot (and only a 'special' so you never know when you'll find them) is Princess Pub, an English Pub in Little Italy...they frequently have salmon fish tacos...REALLY good, but hit or miss if they're on the menu that day

C-Level Lounge...not my favorite tacos, but factor in the view? Worth it.

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

It's funny, I was going to say Rubio's, Rubio's and Rubio's, but someone already did! I used to get their fish tacos at their original funky little stand in Pacific Beach (don't know if it's still there) before they expanded everywhere. They were wonderful! That's probably how they made enough money to expand and become a chain. I have had them from the newer locations and at the mall, and I still think they're great!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

I cant wait to go back to Mama Testes but I never did have their fish taco's. I surely enjoyed all their salsa's offered in their salsa bar to take out!

Fish Taco at the Brigantine during happy hour was really good and the only item that was worth talking about.

Also had a delicious fish taco at Georges on the Cove in La jolla.

What about German Mariscos Truck on University. I hear this is the best for fish tacos.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are your top 3 places to get fish tacos in San Diego?

11 years ago when my husband and I moved from New Orleans to Vegas, we cried with joy when we saw a new Rubios had opened down the street from the apartment we had just rented. Still my favorite.

Georges has a great one all be it more pricey.

South Beach Bar in OB is great, but always crowded when I go and I almost never carry cash!

And though a chain, Kings Fish House has wonderful fish tacos.