We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

Missouri
Level Contributor
165 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

Looking for opinions on the absolute best place to grab dinner in Seaport Village. We will be spending the afternoon going through the USS Midway, the Maritime Museum and a harbor cruise.

Cost is not a consideration - but quality and taste are.

We like ALL kinds of food but try to avoid any place we can eat at at home when we are travelling. If I had to narrow it down, I would prefer not to eat a burger or a sandwich but if they are 'to die for', then by all means, we are not opposed.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,404 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

I would go to the Top of The Market. It is a seafood restaurant and one of the better ones in San Diego. It is next to the USS Midway, not in Seaport Village.

www.thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

Seaport Village is an outdoor mall that is good for a casual meal but not for folks looking for fine dining.

Top of the Market is on the waterfront as mentioned, just next to the USS Midway. The only trouble with that suggestion is if you have one in your area as the Fish Market does have other restaurants in the USA.

The restaurant in the Hilton Bayfront is also quite good!! It is called Vela.

I also particularly like the crab cakes at Sallys by the Water. It is the only place I know where they put a whole soft shell crab on each cake.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

imho, i would not eat the seaport village as a tourist because it is so touristy and the prices are outrageously high and i doubt if the food quality is anything to rave about.

as previous posts mentioned, we did have happy hour at the fish market, nice downstairs and upstairs dining and it was very good. we only had happy hour there where oysters were only $1 a piece. we enjoyed the ambiance and food very much. the downstairs dining prices were slightly cheaper than the upstairs prices. we ate at the bar and had a great view of the water as well.

enjoy !

Missouri
Level Contributor
165 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

Thank you! We are not into 'touristy' places so I greatly appreciate your opinions.

I prefer to find good food even if it is a little out of the way. However, this seems to be right in the area we will be in to begin with.

After looking at the website, I was wondering what the dress attire for the upper restaurant is? We will have been walking around a good part of the afternoon and don't want to be under dressed.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

casual because many people were casually dressed but definitely no cut offs, bathing suits and flip flop wear. we went in nice shorts and sandals without a hitch. the entire place felt very comfortable and casual. no need to get dolled up.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

IN San Diego ALL restaurants are pretty casual in dress.

You can go in with whatever you are wearing for the day. I doubt if you'll be in bathing suits to walk and sightsee so you should be just fine!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

If you like Italian restaurants you might go over to Little Italy as it is close to the Maritime Museum. It's even walkable, just walk 3 blocks east to India Street then 3 blocks north, to the area of India and Date, and there are quite a few Italian restaurants to choose from.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,404 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

It is very hard to underdress in San Diego especially in this this economy, you should be fine dressed in almost anything almost anyplace in San Diego.

FYI The Fish Market only has six locations, all in CA, two in San Diego and four in the Bay Area.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

I'll vote for the Fish Market since the best spot is now gone and even back when was a by invitation only. Dress code. Yeh... casual goes. BUT, if you have the opportunity, showing some style never hurt. At least make everyone take off their baseball caps. And they should be brought up that unless they are a baseball catcher, there is a proper direction to wear them.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to Eat in Seaport Village?

Everyone forgot... What to order? If it shows up on the menu... and is local... try sculpin. Sand dabs are traditional but not my choice. However, for kids who don't like fish taste... good choice.