We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san diego family vacation

Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
san diego family vacation

My family and possibly another family is planning to visit san diego in april. My daughter will be 18 and I am trying to offer her a great vacation since I want her safe on spring break. A friend suggested san diego, saying wonderful things. My son will be 10 years old at that time. We are coming from Georgia. We could have gone anywhere really, but would like to see San Diego. So we are a family of four, and would like to see everything appropriate for an 18 year old and 10 year old, and we like room. We usually get two connecting rooms, so we can have 2 bathrooms and more than one tv at the end of the day. We are trying to coax another family of four to come with us. I looked at the glorietta bay, has two bedroom suites, but the location of the suites are in the back of the grounds away from the view. Can some one recommend what part of san diego is family oriented? We are up for anything fun, and don't mind a reasonable drive, but I don't know about traffic. And if possible we could rent a house for 8, but websites can be deceiving until you read trip advisors reports. I want this vacation to be memorable for everyone, and I want my daughter to know she didn't miss out on spring break with her friends and end up damaged.

Waldorf, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: san diego family vacation

Go to www.vbro.com . I have used them alot and always seem to find a nice house with all the amenities that we need .Good Luck !

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san diego family vacation

Pretty much all areas of San Diego are child friendly, so I don't think you'd have a problem with that anywhere. Coronado and La Jolla Shores, and both Pacific Beach and Mission Beach have great seaside hotels. There are also lots of activities in all areas that would interest an 18 and a 10-year old, although they would be different things. Here's some information on San Diego for families, and another site for beach rentals.

http://www.sandiego.org/nav/Visitors

…about.com/cs/familyfun/tp/top_amusement.htm

http://www.balboapark.org/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/visitorsguide/

http://www.missionbeach.com/

florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: san diego family vacation

I have one advice for you, whatever happens the most important thing is that your all together and happy.

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san diego family vacation

merrytime

That is a very good decision for you to go on spring break with you daughter and not let her go alone.

All her friends or some will go to all the hot spots so you will have to set up an itinerary that she will be ale to share with her friends...

Calif has a lot to offer...Los Angeles trip should be on the agenda, going to the "Garment district" for some serious shopping, every girls favorite.

Give us some things you have planned already

DT

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: san diego family vacation

When I grew up - I always went on spring break with my parents (they would never let me go off on my own) - but the reality of it was I had a blast! While I might have moaned about it during the planning stages, once on the road, it was great. That was quite a while ago and now i have kids of my own and I hope that we will be able to have fun family vacations as long as the kids are home.

One thing my parents also stayed at hotels with lots of other kids - so we had an oppurtuntiy to meet other kids our age by the pool or on the beach.

San Diego is great, whether it is just relaxin garound the pool and on the beach, goin gto the different parks (SeaWorld, the Zoo, etc...) or exploring the city. There is plenty to do.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: san diego family vacation

There are some ships you can tour down at the waterfront including a decommissioned carrier and the ship used in "Master and Commander". My whole family thought the carrier was pretty cool.

The San Diego Zoo is world famous and you can spend a day there. (If you go, get the tour & gondola package, it's well worth it). The zoo's wild animal park is located nearby in Escondido though I personally liked the zoo better. There are several museums located in Balboa Park near the zoo along with an Imax theater. Sea World is fun if you've never been there before. There are some nice beaches in the area to lay out at. Better get some rooms tied up pretty quick as I went there last Easter break and almost everything was booked. Hope you have a good time.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: san diego family vacation

You are going to LOVE san diego, it's so family friendly and wonderful on spring break. I really recommend La Jolla for families because the beaches are beautiful and you're not far from sea world, the aquarium and beautiful Coronado. (You should stay in the Hotel Coronado if you can, but it's pretty pricy. But if you want room, they've got it! I would get a Go San Diego Card too because it will get your family lots of discounts on family-type attractions (i.e. the san diego zoo, Balboa Park, birch aquarium, legoland, etc--) Also, I love the gaslamp quarter walking tour and your family might like the miramar speed track too--that's a pretty cool place. Also, just spending time on the beach and snorkeling is tons of fun too.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: san diego family vacation

What about the http://www.beachcottages.com/

my co worker raves about staying here when she visits her sister in SD. Of course we stayed at the Dana on Mission Bay, in May 2005 with a 12 yr. There is so much to see and do- Im sure you'll have a good time.

we liked the old dinner in Hillcrest, the Cabrillo National Monument, Old town-yummy food and shopping, ice cream, shopping, touring around downtown, the ships and the zoo.

Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: san diego family vacation

thank you for all your help.

I think I've narrowed down the choices to either

the dana inn in the new section (the bay suites are supposed to have good views and good square footage

paradise point

catamaran

and a night on coronado

can anyone help me out with the first 3 choices?

they seem to be similar in location and amenities but I'm not sure

also can someone please give any feedback on the cruises, like whale watching or dinner cruises or sight seeing cruises?

thank you

Wisconsin/Illinois...
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: san diego family vacation

Is there any guide that I could get through snail mail?

I can't seem to find anything online. Strange!

Thanks