We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown or by the sea

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown or by the sea

we are visiting san diego in april 2011 - advice on where to stay please. we are a retired couple but young at heart and active. Hotel recommendations and area please

many thanks in advance

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,128 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown or by the sea

Price range? rental car/no rental car?

city environment/suburban environment?

Too early to book hotel for April as deals are not out yet.

Downtown faces the bay so there's water views but no beach.

Ocean water is cold at that time of year so beach is best for laying out or walking.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown or by the sea

What riffsmom said ... a little more info please :)

Also, if you stay Downtown / Gaslamp & Little Italy areas you have very easy access to the beach at Coronado.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
495 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown or by the sea

Downtown will be nice for shopping and dining and getting to Balboa park, and going to the naval museum on the water---what the heck is the name of it? It escapes me. For downtown I would bid a four star on priceline (note high parking charges)

I would prefer to stay in La Jolla or Coronado, for strolling to beach, dining and shopping.

For budget conscious La Jolla I would look at the Best Western Inn by the Sea or more budget conscious Travelodge (location not near shopping/dining as much).

For more higher end I might even stay at the Lodge at Torrey PInes, but that is away from everything.

There are a lot of options if you give the nightly rate you want, and what you think you will do on vacation, more advice, coming.

California
Level Contributor
172 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown or by the sea

I would recommend staying at a beach hotel or near the beach. Or at Mission Bay with a view of the bay.

Mission Bay is centrally located and there are lots of nice hotels. There's also lots of grassy park area and places to rent watercraft. Disadvantage? The water has no waves because it's not the ocean.

For a beach hotel....Coronado is upscale, clean, nice area. Disadvantage? You have to drive across the bridge to get to San Diego. La Jolla is also upscale, clean, nice area. Disadvantage? It's a busy area.

Some of my personal favorite hotels: Hilton San Diego Resort in Mission Bay. Get a room facing the bay. Some even have their own private fire ring for a bonfire. I also like Pacific Terrace. It's a small boutique hotel with a large pool and jacuzzi outdoors overlooking the ocean. Most rooms have ocean views.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown or by the sea

Thankyou - would you stay at La Jolla rather than in San Diego itself? We don't spend a lot of time at the beach - we tend to vary our days with a bit of relaxation and then some sight seeing or shopping. We have 4 nights in San Diego and we will have a rental car

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown or by the sea

We will have a rental car - we have 4 nights in total and our budget is above average - not top prices but definitely 4 or 5 star. Someone else has suggested La Jolla - we like places to be lively. We live in a quiet area of the UK so like to have things going on and places with a 'buzz' . However, we're not interested in staying somewhere where there will be loads of kids and/or other Brits. We don't look for English breakfasts while we're on holiday!!!

7. Re: Downtown or by the sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 05:17