We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaza Gaslamp

British Columbia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plaza Gaslamp

Hello...trying to plan for a convention in June with my husband....anyone familiar with the Plaza Gaslamp? We are looking for something within walking distance of the Convention Centre, but not exhorbitant ($200 or less). The Plaza certainly seems to have a full spectrum of reviews, which is confusing. But then, so do a lot of other hotels in the area. Any ideas?

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaza Gaslamp

You might try the Westin Horton Plaza which is right adjacent to the plaza and about 5 or 6 blocks from the Convention Center. I stayed there for ComicCon about in July of 2004. We got special convention rates so I'm not sure what they would charge normally. You might be able to call the hotel direct and get a reasonable price under $200 a night if it's over $200.00.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaza Gaslamp

I'm guessing you mean the Gaslamp Plaza Suites? If so, it's a really good location, an older established hotel that was in a bit of disrepair, the St. James, was somewhat refurbished a couple years ago and renamed the Gaslamp Plaza Suites. It's truly a great location right in the midst of the Gaslamp District, close to the convention center. It would be fine, the rooms are larger than some and it is a historic building, so interesting architecture. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with staying here.

That being said, if I had my choice for the same general area, I would prefer to be closer to the water - if you could get the Marriott Marina or the Grande Hyatt for a similar price, they have great water views, and are newer hotels. They are a bit away from the Gaslamp District and might tend to be quieter; however I truly don't think you'll have a problem with the Gaslamp Plaza Suites.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaza Gaslamp

Thank you so much...unfortunately the water-side properties are quite a bit more expensive at that time....so I think we will stick with the Gaslamp area. Thanks for the input!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaza Gaslamp

snowbird, I was able to book the Gaslamp Plaza Suites for my brother's friends in March at $135/night. I'm not sure when you're coming or what the available rates are for then, but it's worth checking this place out. The location is excellent if you're into Gaslamp activities and it's a lot more affordable than the bigger chain hotels (Hyatt, Marriott, W, Hilton, etc.) that were running over $250/night for the nights I checked.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaza Gaslamp

Thanks....I',m pretty much sold on the Gaslamp...sounds great