We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Topic
Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Can anyone advise the best place to stay along the beach in San Diego in Feb? We want a modest price clean hotel with a nice pool and lots of beach/pier walking.

Thanks

Special Offer
Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum
370 reviews
from US$16.00*
US$18.00
La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak Tour
72 reviews
from US$44.00*
San Diego Tour: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley
228 reviews
from US$39.95*
San Diego Harbor Dinner Cruise
94 reviews
from US$83.52*
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,611 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Only one of the places you mentioned(Oceanside) is even in San Diego County.Long Beach is in Los Angeles County,Huntington is in Orange County.

Personally,I would not go on vacation in Oceanside.I would look from Carlsbad down to Mission Beach.That itself is quite a distance.Maybe list what else you want to see to zero in on a location that will suit you.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Well, the closest of those to San diego is Oceanside and depending on traffic can be 45 min drive North. Huntington Beach is at least another 45 min North of Oceanside and Long Beach is about 20 min North of HB.

IF you want to visit San Diego none of those are convenient.

Please let us know where you want to visit and what you want to see / do while here.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Unless we are having Santa Ana conditions, most locals wouldn't think it is beach or pool weather.

If you are looking for a vacation focused towards San Diego, You should stay south of Carlsbad.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Thanks Elizzi,

I'm still confused and trying to figure this Disney Trip out. We are traveling from Calgary to Disney in Feb. 2011. We are 3 families and kids are 8 to 12 years old. I'm thinking we would fly Calgary to LAX but if we only stay 3 days in Disney we want some other days in ? My husband says San Diego, but we don't want to see Lego land , the zoo or Sea World, so I'm thinking why go to San Diego? We do want to stay on the ocean and walk aroudn the fishing piers and beach, but what is the weather like in Feb? I know not swimming but is it usually ok for pier walking? I was thinking of staying at one of the beaches and walk around but which one? Someone suggest Carlisbad?

Any help would be so appreciated.,

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

As the others have said, none of those locations are in San Diego. But if you are just looking for a good beach community, Huntington Beach would be a good family friendly beach stop-over. The weather will not be good for sunbathing but there will be great wildlife viewing opportunities at the Bolsa Chica Wetlands (at Huntington Beach). You can always walk along the beach and our very long pier and you will probably consider the 60F degree weather to be quite warm compared to your Canadian winter.

Long Beach's beaches are not very appealing as a large breakwater built to protect the harbor keeps the tide from coming in naturally. However, Long Beach is worth a visit for the Aquarium of the Pacific, one of the very best aquariums anywhere. Your children would love it. There are several exhibits in which children can get up close to sea life.

If you have two children, you should reconsider the San Diego Zoo. It is really wonderful.

I suggest that you get a large map so that you can get a good idea of where all of your possible destinations are located. Then decide what sort of activities and sights interest you and let us know so that we can better help you.

Carlsbad is a nice community and it's neighbor Encinitas is also quite nice but both communities are pretty empty in the winter time.

Edited: 08 September 2010, 04:03
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Thanks everyone,

ok another question thrown in from family. If we fly into LAX and a few people suggested seeing Hollywood, can we do Disney in 3 days, a day at the ocean, say Huntington Beach then back to LAX area for a day to see Hollywood? This trip is driving me crazy, I'm use to easy all inclusive but how do we get the most from CA in 7 days and make everyone happy? Which would be wiser to do first? Fly into LAX and drive to Disney or do Hollywood first then Disney?

Thanks again so much

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

Bestsis, Huntington Beach is just 30 minutes from Disneyland. If you wish, you can stay in HB and go back and forth to Disneyland and save moving. Or you can stay in Anaheim and just go to the beach for the day. Hollywood is not near LAX. It is about 45 minutes from LAX. There is nothing to do and no decent restaurants around LAX so I wouldn't recommend it. REALLY -- There is not much to see in Hollywood. If you take one of the tours to Universal Studios (not actually in Hollywood) from your hotel in Anaheim or Huntington Beach, you'll get a good fun movie industry experience. Hollywood is just a rather run down LA neighborhood. There is not much glamor there. seeing-stars.com/streets/…Reality.shtml

You can definitely fit in your three days of Disney and have time for a beach day and a day or two in Los Angeles.

If you check the FAQs on the Los Angeles Forum, you will see several suggestions for things to do in LA and how to best see the "Hollywood" attractions.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

>>>My husband says San Diego, but we don't want to see Lego land , the zoo or Sea World, so I'm thinking why go to San Diego?<<<

The reason for your confusion is that you are thinking purely in terms of the typical tourist attractions and not really considering all the city has to offer. It is a major US city and there is a LOT more to San Diego than that. Some people just come down from Anaheim for the day to visit the zoo or Sea World and totally miss out on what this city has to offer. Have you read the things to do in San Diego listing here on TripAdvisor?

One major attraction is San Diego Bay itself that is in downtown San Diego. Here’s a website to help explain and it has some great pictures.

http://www.sandiego.com/san-diego-bay

Have you considered staying on Coronado Island? I think I may have suggested that before, or at least visiting.

In my opinion, unless you have a very specific love of piers, you should consider that there are lovely locations by the beach or even bays where you can go walking and enjoy the sights, restaurants, etc., and water and perhaps you may be limiting yourself by the idea of needing a pier. Something to think about, but, of course, it’s your call.

LSCats makes a lot of sense and has very good suggestions. I do differ a little in the idea of Hollywood, simply because Hollywood and Highland is a nice location now. But I think you can put together an itinerary that will allow you to visit LA/Hollywood in one day from Anaheim and hit the sights you want to see. If you don’t have children under 18 with you, you may want to see a studio taping, such as one of the late night shows (Jimmy Kimmel is popular). They are usually taped in the late afternoon or evening and they are free. If you do that, you would need to limit what else you do during the day since you need to show up at the studio far in advance of the taping. Ask in the LA Forum if interested.

There days in the Disneyland Resort Parks is good (try to refrain from calling it “Disney”, that’s the name of the man or the company – we call it Disneyland here). Can you fly into John Wayne Airport aka Santa Ana (SNA) or Long Beach airport? That will make it easier on you to get to a hotel in Anaheim Resort or Huntington Beach.

Given what you want and taking into account you have 7 days (I think you said that) a good plan may be to look for someplace to stay in Huntington Beach, and visit Disneyland from there as well as a day in LA/Hollywood, then move down to San Diego, Coronado, or La Jolla and stay someone by the water there (beach or bay). It could be cloudy (maybe foggy) and cool along the water in February, but it is charming even so. Pack so you dress in layers. It could even by sunny on a day or two, especially inland at Disneyland. Jeans, t-shirts, pull over sweaters, hoodies, maybe some shorts just in case. Just to let you know February is during California’s rainy season, so there is a chance of rain, although the weather can change from day to day.

Edited: 08 September 2010, 07:37
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

This website is more specific to San Diego Bay than the one I posted earlier. I think you will like it.

http://www.thebigbay.com/

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Beach, Huntington Beach or Oceanside?

I noticed in another one of your posts I saw from your profile that you will have one 12 year old child with you and it seems it is your child that wants to see Hollywood. The studio taping is out since just about all require the members of the audience to be 18 or over. However, that age is acceptable att the Warner Bros. VIP Studio Tour, which is slightly north of LA in Burbank. Although it costs quite a bit, it is a good one. It takes less than three hours which means there is time in the day for visiting Hollywood and Highland and the Grahmann's Chinese Theater.

http://www2.warnerbros.com/vipstudiotour/

Of course, Universal Studios is also a working studio and has the Backstage Tour (though not as private as the WB) and a full day of full - so quite a good time for a 12 year old. It also has the Universal City Walk next to it.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/

I also noticed that you were considering staying at Howard Johnson's for the Disneyland part of your trip, mostly for the pool. That is a good choice and so close to Disneyland Resort's Main Gate. The main reason I suggested staying near Huntington Pier is you would already be there and not need to use up a day visiting. If you stay in HoJo's, then three days in the park, one doing some sort of Hollywood trip (or Burbank), and one at the beach. So that leaves only two in San Diego. Since you don't want to do major tourist attractions in San Diego, maybe that would be okay.

Edited: 08 September 2010, 08:21