We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego/ Mission bay

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Topic
San Diego/ Mission bay

Sorta confused, is the Half Moon Inn and the best western Island Palms both on Mission Bay? Any advice on which to book for Feb. 2011. Looking for a nice place with a nice view... thanks

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

Neither is on Mission Bay. They are both on Shelter Island. Shelter Island is not actually an island, but a large strip of land that juts out into the big bay, San Diego Bay. It is near downtown. There are two bays in San Diego, Mission Bay and San Diego Bay. Mission Bay is a smaller and more secluded bay. San Diego Bay is huge and the center of downtown.

Either one of this hotels should have good views consisting of marinas and the SD Bay, however, I have noticed some past reviews stating they had a parking lot view. Possibly a second floor room is better than ground floor.

Humphrey's Half Moon also serves as an outdoor concert venue, although in February there may not be concerts scheduled. You can check their website to find out. Room location is important during concerts. Some people like to be overlooking a concert and others don't want the noise. There is also a restaurant, Humphrey's, that has live jazz.

Although Shelter Island is close to downtown it is difficult to walk to the usual places to visit from there. If you will have a rental car it will be easier to get around. One possible issue staying there is the closeness to the airport, but that is an issue in downtown San Diego. Shelter Island is just a little closer, which could mean more chance of hearing some noise from airplanes.

If you want to be close to Sea World or on Mission Bay, staying at one of these hotels will not be close. If you want to be close to downtown, the zoo, and San Diego Bay, then Shelter Island is good. I think you will have good views. It's possible to get better views in some hotels along the San Diego Bay. The Holiday Inn On San Diego Bay in a bayside room is nice, for example, and right across from the Maritime Museums.

Edited: 22 October 2010, 07:48
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

I see in another recent thread that someone who has stayed at Humphrey's Half Moon recommended it to you over the Island Palms and went into detail in regards to why that would be a better choice better the two. So you are going to stay on Shelter Island, that's the one I would say to go for.

I also noticed you may be looking for a place on the beach. That would not be in Shelter Island. So you would want to look at a Mission Bay hotel, or Pacific Beach, or even the Hotel Del Coronado with may have a Feb. special coming up later in the year.

Edited: 22 October 2010, 08:10
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

Thanks Redland. I did book the Half Moon for 2 nights, but am curious. I went online to a few sites like priceline etc, and the Half Moon was sold out on alot of sites for those 2 nights. I called the hotel directly and all they left was a suite ocean view. It's about $230 a night, a little more than I wanted to spend, but it seems like a busy time, so I wonder if i was lucky to get a place or will more rooms open up? I did mention my entertainment card, but they did not ask for the number or anything, Can anyone just say they have the entertainment card and they just get the same price? Wonder what the difference is in a 2 queen bed room and a 2 queen bed suite besides the price?

You did mean the Half Moon sounded better than the Island Palms right???

Thanks so much for all the advice you have been giving me...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,643 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

A room, is just that one room.

A suite is usually a separate bedroom with a door and a living room.

There are pictures on the Humphreys Half Moon web site that will tell you exactly what is included. The suites are their highest priced rooms. I don't know which suite you have but it should also have balcony/patio etc.

I don't know your dates but some of Feb. is our President's week school vacation time. Also Valentine's weekend is sometimes busy.

Otherwise Feb. would be a slower time. The price you mentioned is not a special rate.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

Yes, I meant that the Half Moon sounded better than the Island Palms.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

Ok, I was thinking I had narrowed my search to the Half Moon Inn for Feb. 18th for 2 nights and then to Pacific beach 2 nights at the Blue Sea Lodge. Now I see the Pacific Terrace Hotel and it looks nice.Would the Pacific Terrace be near or instead of the Half Moon? I guess what I mean is Pacific terrace on Shelter Island ? I don't like the $230 price of the half Moon and that is all they had left????? Oh man here go again.....

At least I am set with the Howard Johnson's for 4 nights already I know i won't change that one......

Any help anyone?????

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

Pacific Terrace is not on Shelter Island. The only hotels on Shelter Island are the two mentioned in your original post.

Pacific Terrace is in the Pacific Beach area, which would be closer to Mission Bay. It is near where the Blue Sea Lodge is.

Is the HoJo's you mentioned your Anaheim hotel?

Edited: 23 October 2010, 02:58
Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

Hi again, yes the Howard Johnson's we are looking at for 4 nights at DisneyLand and then we want to rent a car in Anaheim and drive to San Diego, 2 nights at Shelter island, why I don't know but my husband is an avid fisherman and the area looked nice to walk around and see things, then 2 nights at Pacific Beach, again whey there I'm not sure, but the beach looked so nice seeing as we are probably going to be covered in snow here in Calgary when we arrive in Feb. I think the Blue Sea looked nice and I got a price at the pacific terrace for $195 so I'm thinking for a little more at half Moon we get a suite.

I see why people just go to travel agents and let them take care of everything, but I do have to say the 2 travel agents I talked with gave me way higher prices on everything, doing all this work is saving some $$ but it takes lots of time.......

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,889 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

Shelter Island has at least four hotels, Kona Kai, Humphrey's Half Moon, the Bay Club, and the Island Palms. With the new Casa Marina wing of the Best Western, I might choose it over Humphrey's.

But If I could get the Pacific Terrace for the same price or even a bit more, I would take it. A great hotel in Pacific Beach, good transportation, lots to see and do nearby, good restaurants and on the ocean, not the bay.

I would not split time between the two areas. Stay at Pacific Beach and visit the Point Loma area. Send hubby off on a half day trip.

http://www.pointlomasportfishing.com/

And you go shopping.

Hey. Fair is fair!

ps. he can also fish off the pier right by the Pacific Terrace.

Mentioned in this post
Point Loma
Point Loma
1,704 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego/ Mission bay

thanks Scottca, can you tell em when you say the new Casa marina is that the Island Palms hotel you are referring too? Pacific Terrace is way more for a regular room and the Half Moon is a suite? but I am open to any suggestions and want a nice place with a nice view.