We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer and hotel

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
transfer and hotel

Hi looking for some advice

1 - most centrall marriott (we need two nights) before we set sail if we can help it dont want to hire a car

2 - transfer from LAX to San diego (want to be driven) late arrival and long flight advice on any recommended companys

thanks ellie

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,139 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer and hotel

Hi, Your post is quite brief and a little confusing??

Are you flying into Los Angeles to take a cruise from San Diego??

It is about a 2hour drive from LAX to San Diego so quite expensive(several hundred dollars) by car service.

You might check with: www.beachlimo.com for an estimate

It would have been easier to include a flight to San Diego in your original plans if possible??

There is also a train you could take by going from the LAX airport to the main train station in LA. The web site for the train is:

www.amtrakcalifornia.com The train station is right downtown and walking distance to the cruise port if that is what you need.

There are several Marriott hotels in the downtown area:

Marriott Gaslamp

Marriott Marina

Residence Inn Gaslamp

Courtyard by Marriott/downtown San Diego

All these would allow you to walk to restaurants and get easily to some of our tourist sights/hop on hop off bus/ etc. fairly easily with public transportation and/or short taxi rides.

Let me know if you have other questions.

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer and hotel

a bit more detail

we arrive LAX 7pm after an 11 hour flight and a 7 hour time difference so for us it will be 3am so looking for the easiest option so if it is a 2hr drive i think the option is a hotel at LAX and then hire a car and drive refressed to SD

Maybe you can help with another quriie the car hire websites say you have to pay for a full tank of fuel on collection and return empty i doubt we would use half a tank Do you know of any car hire companys that do full full or something similar

Thanks for the hotel info

ellie

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,139 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer and hotel

IF you use half a tank of gas then you just stop in a gas station before you return the car and fill it up. That is the best way to handle it and the least expensive way. Do not pay for the gas ahead at the car rental office. I have never heard of returning a car with an empty tank!!

Try and use a UK site for the rental that includes all the necessary insurance like Hertz UK or carhire300 or something like that. Make sure that you are telling the web site your country of origin so don't just use a USA site unless you can put in/change the country of origin.

I think your plan sounds like a good idea!!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer and hotel

OK, the option of taking a Full Tank Out and returning it empty is becoming more and more popular. I have used it many times, but at least American renters get an option.

Most European Companies (even including Hertz offering an European website for its American Rentals). These are package deals, that come with all required insurance packages that foreign renters need and a few other options, which might include the "Return Empty" option. Since it is a package, sounds like no way to opt out.

Let me explain how it works for an American Driver. When you first rent the car, there is usually a sign on the wall showing the prices of gas in the "pre-paid" price, something like $2.85 a gallon currently (a bit less than what you can find if you buy at a regular station) and then the traditional expense if you were supposed to return it full, but failed to do so, something like $3.75 per gallon.

You opt for the "pre-paid" price, you are charged for the tank (based on the car's fuel tank) as part of the contract, and then you can return it empty. The Rental company is betting that most folks will bring it back with at least a few gallons, so they can make a "profit". Last time I did this, I rented a car that I drove over 3,000 miles on, and it was easy to return it empty. I also got my AAA 10% discount on the pre-paid gas.

Some business folks like it, as it is one less hassle, especially if you are running late to the airport, and heck, just charge the company....

I have opted for the option many times, usually if I plan to drive a few hundred miles, but a couple of times due to time constraints.

5. Re: transfer and hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2011, 06:50