We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do Christmas Day

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do Christmas Day

Hi there

We will be vacationing in San Diego on Christmas day and were wondering what to do that day. I assume most things will be closed.

Any ideas?

Thanx

1. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 December 2015, 14:35
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

Eventhough all museums will be closed, you can have a nice stroll through Balboa Park. You can take a hike in Torrey Pines State Reserve, hike Cowles or Iron Mountain for the view, have a picnic at any beach, take a drive to Julian and have some apple pie there, go to the movies...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

The zoo is open on Christmas Day.

One should not assume that everyone celebrates Xmas when folks ask for activities for that day!!

You can also go to the Hotel Del to walk around ,see the decorations and perhaps ice skate on their beachfront rink!

You can walk along the beaches.

You take a buffet cruise in the harbor.

The I Max theater is open at the Reuben Fleet Science center in Balboa Park too.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

The Hotel Del Coronado will be all decked out in holiday splendor -- but if your aim is to do something non-Christmas-y, then I'd choose to be out in nature such as walking one of our beautiful beaches (Coronado, La Jolla Shores, Del Mar) or a magnificent hike on the sandstone cliffs above the ocean at Torrey Pines State Park. There's also great tidepooling near Cabrillo National Monument and in La Jolla.

But it all depends on what your interests are ... if you want to jump in here and give more insight into your favorite activities, we can provide more suggestions.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

Sea World is also open on Christmas Day.

I actually liked post #1 a lot for its simplicity and straightforwardness and for expressing what many readers assume is the logical answer. I do think a suggestion of a nice church or service with a good choir would be more helpful.

I know near Old Town, there is a nice historic Catholic church there - just throwing that out as an idea. I don't know how nice it is to walk around Old Town and check it on on Christmas Day, though.

Assumptions can be tricky. If a poster does not say exactly what they want on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, we can't assume whether they do or don't celebrate Christmas. I usually kind of assume that a church service might get squeezed in when a poster asks about things to do on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It doesn't take long and then what do you do with the rest of your day? And we don't know if they already have plans for that on Christmas Eve. We don't know if they like the cozy feeling of staying in and watching a service on TV in the morning or at midnight. (I'm partial to that even though I also go to church. A little hot coco makes it even nicer.) If post #1 sounds judgemental, I believe it is because it assumes that the whole entire day ought to be devoted to a church service, when really it only takes an hour or an hour and a half tops.

I think it is the most natural thing in the world to offer the suggestion of going to church on Christmas Day. Just as it natural as it is to offer suggestions of pretty decorations in a hotel. Unless the person comes out and says they are looking for something to do on Christmas Day because they don't celebrate Christmas. Then if they do say that then Sea World or the SD Zoo would be a MUCH better suggestion than the Hotel Del Coronado. (Although I myself would rather go to the Hotel Del Coronado than Sea World or the zoo.) Not everyone believes Christmas trees and decorations or setting a date for Christ's birth is good either, even though they may be Christian.

I'm just saying that if we can't assume a church is a good place to visit on Christmas Day, then neither can we assume that anything remotely Christmasy is a good place to visit either. I don't assume someone doesn't celebrate Christmas unless they say they don't. The original poster asked for suggestions of what to do on Christmas Day and got a mixture of suggestions with assumptions about what the poster wants, which is a really good thing! It's always nice to be told there is a lot to choose from.

Edited: 07 December 2010, 03:11
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

Redlands, with all due respect, the OP did say that she assumed that most things would be closed, which makes me believe she wanted to know what might be open on that day so she could go there.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

When a poster acts what is open on a Sunday to do in a city, the answers include activities that are available on a Sunday but one would never suggest church as one never knows the religion of the OP!

The same holds true for Christmas Day. IF someone asks what is "open" on that day , one would normally give activity ideas because again , one does not know the religious background of the poster.

USUALLY when people want to find a particular type of church service or other religious service, they ask for it.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

I agree, riffsmom. I don't think it was appropriate to suggest a church service as the ONLY suggested activity, as in reply #1. It sounded too much like a "should" to me rather than a helpful suggestion. (Not to mention that that the replier didn't bother to come up with specfic services that are being held on Christmas Day) We just can't/shouldn't make assumptions like that ...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

Jewelfine … will you have kids in tow?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do Christmas Day

I found the suggestion of a church service inappropriate for a travel forum. But isn't that what the poster intended? To force their views on others.

On Christmas day, if the weather is nice, we generally head to the beach. Like hiking at Torrey Pines. Stop by glider port to watch the gliders.

We have also visited the zoo. Generally not to crowded and good to get out walking after all the candy my kids get in their stocking.