We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from La Jolla to Huntington Beach

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from La Jolla to Huntington Beach

While staying in La Jolla I would like to drive to Huntington Beach to visit my uncle. Can anyone recommend the best way to go? A scenic drive would be nice if it didn't take unusually long. Thanks for the info.

San Diego
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from La Jolla to Huntington Beach

Driving North from SD towards LA is always a bit of a crap shoot as far as traffic goes. You just never know, but it you drive between 9:30 am and 3:00 pm you should be okay.

The most scenic way would probably be to drive north on the 5 to the Dana Point area, then get on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) aka Highway 1, and drive north to Huntington. This takes you through Laguna beach as well as Newport Beach. Both are worth a stop if you have time.

Michigan
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from La Jolla to Huntington Beach

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to our visit.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from La Jolla to Huntington Beach

Stop for lunch or dinner in Laguna Beach...very picturesque town with hills overlooking the ocean....for a cocktail, you cannot beat Las Brisas which is directly above the ocean and offers panoramic views...there are many outstanding restaurants in Laguna as well (better than San Diego)...couple of my favorites include 5 Feet, 235 Forest, Javier's Cantina, and French 75 Bistro....Huntington Beach is maybe 30 minutes (depending on traffic) from Laguna Beach.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from La Jolla to Huntington Beach

An additional scenic view is to start by going up the old 101 in San Diego County.

You start near UCSD and Scripps Green Hopsital, also where the Torrey Pines Golf Course and State Park are. Just follow the road all the way up the coast thru Oceanside. Lots of stop signs and traffic lights, but very scenic and nice.

Then at Camp Pendleton, you need to get onto the freeway (the 5 north), just after San Clemente, you take the exit for Highway 1, and follow that up to Huntington Beach (as mentioned above).

You are only adding about an hour of driving time (maybe less), but that doesn't count the stops you decide to make to check the views, eat, shop, etc.....

In Huntington Beach, check out the Longboard restaurant and bar, AWESOME food, including a great Maine Lobster dinner, it was just $14.99 two weeks ago.

Michigan
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from La Jolla to Huntington Beach

Thanks everyone. You have no idea how jealous I am of you folks that get to live in CA.