We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

Traveller from Ireland here planning on visiting San Diego this summer. I have seen that day trips to Tijuana, Mexico are available and was considering it. I have read mixed reviews of safety there. I will be travelling solo and would generally be of a nervous/slightly anxious personality.

Can someone give me an honest assessment of the safety risks of going to Tijuana? Would I be better off spending extra time in the LA/San Diego area, maybe visiting the beach cities near LA? Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

If you are talking about taking a day trip tour that goes across the border to Tijuana and maybe Ensenada then I don't think safety would be a serious issue. The violence in Mexico has largely been between Mexican drug cartels and the Mexican police/army and tourists have not been shot(to my knowledge) I have friends who weekend at a beach south of Tijuana.

The question of "whether it is worth it" is another story.

IF you ask this question in the Baja Mexico forum you will probably get different answers than the ones you will get here.

I usually tell folks that if they are here in San Diego for only a couple of days then we have enough here to fill your days. If you are here for a long stay my answer might be different. Mexico is a wonderfully interesting country that deserves its own vacation not as just a day trip across the border where you would see the less interesting parts.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

Just put 'Tijuana' in the search box here and you'll get more than enough info to dissuade you from this trip.

At one time this was a fun thing to do but the drug wars in border Mexico have escalated to the point that no one goes, eliminating the businesses which catered to American day trippers.

There is plenty to do north of the border.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

creepy is the word I would describe it, we went down last summer for the first ime in a while, everyone was nice, lots of security but not many americans down there. Use to be a really fun day trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

I've lived in San Diego for 15 yrs. Last time I went to TJ was about 14 yrs ago. I would not recommend going there. I don't think it's safe anymore.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,943 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

I probably would not take a day trip to Tijuana, but not because of safety, but because it just isn't that interesting anymore. I would consider a day trip though that goes to Ensenada and stops at Rosarito.

www.sandiegotours.us/…

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

Another discouraging message for Tijuana. It would not be worth the time. A sad, crime-ridden border town, not representative of Mexico. Save your Mexico time for a great trip to the interior on a different trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

Thanks for your opinions everyone. I think I have pretty much decided against going to Tijuana now!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

I'm in the 'not worth it' camp especially if your visit is a short one. There is so much to do here in SD.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

Its so sad. It used to be fun to drive down, eat at El Abajeno, watch a Jai Alai match, do some shopping, have a few cocktails. It's just one of those experiences that aren't available anymore.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Tijuana - worth it or safe

From news accounts, even Alcapoco is strewn with bodies that have fallen in drug wars. I believe Mexico needs some international help but, sadly, the situation seems to not get much attention outside the country itself.