We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time from London help

Epping, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time from London help

Where should we stay location , how far from la is it could you drive to holllywood , how long is recommended to stay also want to see la and Vegas in 12 nights thanks

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time from London help

What's your buget per night? i.e. $200 etc..., we can't recommend somewhere to stay unless we know your budget.

It's not really recommended to do day trips from SD to LA, it's 120miles, about 2-3hrseach way depending on traffic.If you have 12 nights, I would spilt the trip evenly, and do 4 nights in each SD, LA and Vegas.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time from London help

I'm sorry but your question is soooo vague and can only give you very vague answers.

How are you getting around from each place? Car or Air?

Will you have a car in San Diego?

What is your per night budget for a room in San Diego?

You do not want to stay in San Diego to see LA. They are too far apart. Have you looked at a map?

More info is necessary ....

great britain
Level Contributor
447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time from London help

Hi Stu 95.

Epping not far from us!

Have a look if you havent already on my post "location Suggestion", Everyone has been very helpful suggestinig areas ect.

We have a budget of $150 pernight for August. But that is proving very difficult so I am uping the budget to $180.

Old town area is on budget but a bit further out although well serviced by touur buses and trolley.

I am swaying towards the Bay area.

Visit the Go california website and they will send you a 2011 california guide and a fab map which covers all your destinations.

We are doing 4 night SD and 4 nights LA. not doing Vegas as have been there. We are also doing San Fran Monterey and Santa Barbara. I have found San Diego the most difficult to plan.

Good luck.

When are you travelling

familytrippers

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time from London help

Yes you will do best to split your stay up between San Diego and LA if you want to see both. The drive between them can be anywhere from 2 1/4 hours to 3 or 4 when traffic is bad. That's a lot of back and forth driving in one day. There's also a train between the two but it takes about 3 hours and you detrain in downtown LA - and then you'd need more time to get to where ever it is in LA that you want to go, on top of that.

Epping, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time from London help

200 a night sounds ok, we will have a car is it worth a few nights or should I stay in la for 5 booked vegas for seven with friends a little unsure about San Diego

Edited: 22 January 2011, 18:50
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,220 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time from London help

I cannot imagine 7nights in Las Vegas! Perhaps if you tell us a little about what you like to see and do we could make better suggestions.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time from London help

5 nights in LA and 7 nights in Vegas .. too much in each place in my opinion.

I'm sorry but you are still being too vague.

When are you planning this trip? How many people in a room and how many beds per room? Will there be children?

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time from London help

I would really encourage you to spend some time in San Diego. All three cities have their charms but, IMO, San Diego, and it's varied neighborhoods, is by far the prettiest and, once again IMO, the friendliest. To me, it's also the easiest of the three cities to get around if you have your own car.

If you don't know a lot about San Diego tell people what you like to do, general travel dates, the kind of food you like, ages of your travel group, what kind of hotel you are looking for in terms of necessary room style and size, are you going to be there only for sleeping or do you want a 'resort' atmosphere so you can kick back and relax, etc.?

The more info you provide the better advice you will get. If you are traveling this far it would be a shame to miss 'America's Finest City'.

Epping, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time from London help

Me and wife I love Vegas went last year for 2 weeks love relaxing by pool good shows ,restaurants a little gaming but never checked la and surrounding areas , also San Diego has been recommended as. A place to go

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time from London help

One other thing, Stu: I lived in LA for 13 years. I had a great time and it certainly is a city that should be seen.

Now, I live about half-way between LA and San Diego. I still go to LA for business. I go to San Diego for business AND PLEASURE!