We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

We are flying from Denver to San Diego. We have a 20 month old son who is obsessed with the ocean and loves getting in. Looking for a family friendly town to spend a few days in. Looking for a nice beach with some casual upscale dinning and easy access to the beach. Any suggestions? We won't be doing any of the amusement parks this go-round. Ideally I'd like to stay in a Marriott, but that is NOT a requirement. I have a couple free nights to burn. Thanks for any input you can offer.

-Bryan

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

I would suggest La Jolla Shores for all your requirements: nice beach, easy access, casual upscale dining.

La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club and La Jolla Shores Hotel (not to be confused with Hotel La Jolla, which is a couple of blocks away) are located right on the beach.

For restaurants on Avenida de la Playa near the hotels: Piatti Ristorante & Bar, Barbarella, Osteria Romantica. A bit higher priced: Marine Room.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Also, have a look at the Coronado Marriott. There's a little (tiny) beach at the Ferry Landing perfect for a toddler. Walking distance to restaurants and easy access to hopping on the freeway to get almost anwhere quickly.

If you want to stay across the street from the famous beach on Coronado in front of the Hotel Del Coronado you might have a look at Glorietta Bay in the Village of Coronado.

http://www.gloriettabayinn.com/

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Thanks! Any thoughts on Del Mar?

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Just an FYI that you're right right in the middle of Comic Con. Your best bet for ANY lodging is going to be La Jolla, Del Mar and northern areas

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Oh didn't see that - good call, Native.

kablam - in your searching have you actually found any hotels with availability? I've heard of people having to stay in Orange County, Temecula, etc. during ComicCon (the die hard fans) beause they couldn't get a hotel any closer to San Diego.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Yep, there is availability. It's a little more than we want to spend though. Problem is, our flights are already booked

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Bryan -

I agree completely with the response from ElleLaJolla - and I just want to add that the best way to get a good rate at the La Jolla Shores Hotel is to phone them. I checked on this earlier this week for another TA visitor and learned that the hotel's website does not reflect the best rate.

Their number is 858-459-8271 - and when you call ask for the AAA rate. I believe the rate for a garden patio room is $179 through May. "Coastal View" and "Beachfront" rooms cost more.

I think this hotel and beach area will be perfect for your family.

Cheers,

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Thanks Elizabeth. I called and the cheapest rooms were $320 plus tax. I think we are just going to stay at the Residence Inn in La Jolla. I have a couple free nights to burn. It looks to be a short drive to the beach.

Thanks for the help.

-Bryan

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

The Residence Inn will be quite suitable for your purposes. La Jolla Shores is only 2 1/2 miles from the hotel. There are also several (chain) restaurants near the Residence Inn (on Villa La Jolla Drive) although I would not consider them upscale.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip suggestions for quick fbeach trip 7/22 - 7/25 from SAN.

Can you recommend some good local restaurants? I despise chains, since I'm on the road 50% time and have to eat at them all the time. Thanks!