We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Zoo on Labor Day?

Seattle
Level Contributor
301 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Zoo on Labor Day?

We are heading to San Diego on Labor Day weekend and plan to stay in town until the following Thursday. I'm trying to figure out which days to visit what in order to best avoid crowds. I was thinking zoo and sea world post labor day. But then I noticed the night time zoo ends on labor day.

- Is it worth going to the zoo on labor day to get extra hours (closes 9pm instead of 6pm)?

- Is the nighttime zoo celebration worth experiencing?

- would post labor day be noticeably less

crowded than on labor day?

- how much time should be spent at the zoo? It seems big, would seeing everything be unexpected?

Thanks!

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Zoo on Labor Day?

My daughter used to work at the Zoo. She always said Labor Day was VERY light, and the Labor Day Nighttime Zoo was almost empty. Most local students return to school the next day - so certainly the local attendance is way down.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Zoo on Labor Day?

We have never stayed at the zoo for a whole day and into the night. It is just too much for us. Most of the animals are more active either earlier in the AM or perhaps later in the evening so maybe go in the AM and then leave(you can stamp your hand) and then return at night IF you feel like it.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Zoo on Labor Day?

We are visiting SD from 6th Sept until 10th Sept and we will go to the zoo at least 2 mornings during our stay. We are hoping post Labor Day visits will be quieter too. It is our third trip to the zoo so we know exactly where and what we want to revisit.

Take the bus tour to get orientated and then use the express buses to avoid the hills. Cross the zoo with Skyfari. If you preorder tickets online you can go straight to queue to get in at opening.

Balboa Park is beautiful too

4. Re: San Diego Zoo on Labor Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 14:17