We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
367 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

My husband and I are planning a staycation this summer since we live in such a great place. We live in San Marcos. We'd love some ideas other than the obvious (zoo, Coronado, Petco Park, Gaslamp, etc.) of things to do. Maybe more "off the beaten path". Were in our 30's and like the outdoors and love great food. A cool spa would be great, hidden beach gem perhaps? Swanky less known bar? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

Are you planning on staying in a hotel or are you just looking for activities and driving home? There are some people who can tell you about the nighlife and I'm sure they'll be along. Not sure about 'swanky' but they know what's 'happening'.

If the weather is nice I'd recommend the Top of the Hyatt for a drink. Bertrand at Mister A's has a great view and lesser known with a view is The Glass Door in Little Italy.

Have you ever done a brunch or dinner cruise?

For outdoors have you ever been to Cabrillo Nat'l Monument?

nps.gov/cabr/naturescience/a-virtual-visit-t…

There are places to rent bikes all over depending on what area you'd like to explore.

When I'm at the outdoor Patio at Roy's (in the Marriott) having a bite to eat or drink people watching on the Marina I feel like I'm on vacation.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 20:31
San Diego...
Level Contributor
367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

Thanks for the input. Which Marriott btw? We are thinking of staying home most of the time and maybe doing a hotel in La Jolla or Del Mar or Coronado one night?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

Downtown SD

marriott.com/hotels/…

roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/san_diego.asp

Any of the cities you mentioned would be a nice place to spend the night. Re: Del Mar, depending on if/when you go there, just keep your eye on the events at the fair / racetrack so you don't get caught up in the traffic.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

We often do staycations around town. I usually look on:

www.travelzoo.com (click on LA and southern ca.)

to find great hotel deals. They give you discount codes to use on the hotel's own web site.

We have stayed at the Bayfront Hilton,Loews Coronado, the Omni, Solamar, Gaslamp Marriott,Hilton San Diego Bay Resort, Catamaran, and Humphreys Half Moon Inn on those deals.

Any of those would be fun places to stay!!

Edited: 18 June 2011, 21:19
San Diego...
Level Contributor
367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

THanks! Would Loews Coronado be your top pick for Coronado? Is it walking distance to the beach?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

It is walking distance to the Silver Strand beaches. NOT walking distance to restaurants. Those are about 8min. away.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

No it wouldn't. UNLESS you just want to hang out at the hotel pool and be near the beach and eat in the hotel restaurants or taxi to town to eat.

Googlemaps says it takes an 1 1/2 hrs to walk from Loews to Hotel del Coronado which is the beginning of the Village where restaurants, etc. are. If you bring a bike from home it would be a nice ride. Or, I'd imagine Loews would have rentals.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

You might look at Glorietta Bay Inn and the Coronado Marriott if you decide against Loews..

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

How about a day walking along the Embarcadero, visiting the Maritime Museum, Midway tour, lunch at Fish Market, Anthony's Fish Grotto, Seaport Village and even a harbor cruise or a tour on one of the America's Cup ships! Maybe take the Coronado Ferry and then rent bikes to get around the island.

www.thebigbay.com

www.midway.org

www.sdmaritime.org

www.stars-stripes.com

www.hornblower.com

www.gofishanthonys.com

www.thefishmarket.com

www.seaportvillage.com

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Staycation in San Diego! Need ideas please...

:)

I thought of listing those places but the OP said not the obvious so I didn't :)