We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

Hi

I've been poring over TA california forums the past few days planning for our trip in Dec (we will be covering SF, LA, OC and SD). We are 2 A and 3 kids aged 10,8 and 3

On the SD leg, we plan to cover the usual : Legoland, Seaworld, Zoo plus a bit of the downtown. and I need good suggestions on which area to stay! (Considered carlsbad, but decided we shld stay in the SD area instead, nearer to the other attractions besides Legoland).

I am looking for a hotel room that can hopefully accomodate 5 (or a suite), near amenties (so we can pop out for a quick dinner or for supplies), and not too far (30 mins) from the major attractions. Preferably with free breakfast and internet and parking too. My budget for all of us is about US$250/night max. I like my hotel rooms nice and clean (and modern preferably!). Pool and beach not a major necessity.

I've shortlisted Embassy Suites La Jolla (which seems to tick the above) Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

Actually in December the Embassy Suites La Jolla is a good choice because it has an indoor swimming pool and so the children will get to swim even if the weather is rainy or cool!! Winter here is our rainy season.

It is also across the street from a nice mall with an indoor ice skating rink.

IF you don't want to pay for parking at the hotel there is free street parking outside across the street.

California
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

Another possible option is Homewood Suites in Liberty Station. Although its pool is outdoors, it is centrally located, near several places to eat (your kids might really like the Corvette Diner in Liberty Station) and grocery stores, and a quick drive to the Zoo and SeaWorld. It is relatively new and was very clean when we were there. They have two-bedroom suites, which might have a pull-out sofa too. We have stayed there several times when we wanted to go to the various parks, and we most likely will stay there in the future. I felt very safe there. It has plenty of free parking and an OK free breakfast. Don't know about internet connection. It is also near a great playground that is in a park that connects up to the front of the hotel property. Have a great trip!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

We just returned from a trip to SD and stayed at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. It was great for our family (it has 2-bedroom suites, free breakfast, laundry facilities, etc), and very centrally located, especially for SeaWorld, the Zoo and other downtown attractions. Legoland was about a 40-minute drive, but a beautiful one if you take the Pacific Coast Highway. I believe there is also a Residence Inn in La Jolla that has bi-level suites (2 queen beds in a downstairs alcove, one in an upper loft).

Good luck!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,908 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

There is also a Residence Inn in Little Italy.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

Thanks. I will definitely check out your suggestions! A friend has suggested Paradise Point. Any comments?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

Paradise Point is in a lovely setting but not walkable to restaurants.

You'd have to drive a short distance to anything outside of the resort's own offerings.It also charges extra for everything unless they have some sort of special deal. They MIGHT have some specials for December because it is off season for them since they are located in Mission Bay Park with all its water activities.

7. Re: Hotel for fussy mum with 3 kids in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 11:18