We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

We are driving to Disneyland from San Diego but are going to take our time and spend a night along the way. Am thinking of staying at Laguna Beach, Newport Beach or Huntington Beach. Just to have an idea of a typical California beach area. Where should we stay? We have two kids, 13 years old.

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

If you can afford it I would strongly recommend San Clemente or Laguna Beach. Laguna is my favorite beach town and there is lots to do but San Clemente has its' charms too. I often stay fairly cheaply- right on the beach- at the Laguna Capri.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

Try San Clemente. The freeway is not far from the beach. Try Holiday Inn express off Pico or Best Western Casa Blanca on El Camino.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

I'd suggest Newport Beach since it has the most beach area, both wide, white beaches as well as secluded coves with tide pools and cliffs that act as a backdrop. It also has two piers (with restaurants at the end of both of them) and the largest small yacht harbor in the world. It has the Fun Zone, harbor tour, the second oldest continually operating ferry in the U.S. and great restaurants and shopping.

If you give us an idea of the price range and type of accomodations you are looking for it would be easier to make a recommendation for a hotel.

For a digital guide to Newport Beach check: www.visitnewportbeach.com

Scroll down the the page and click on 'digital guide' on the right-hand side to view the entire guide.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

Just FYI-There are "typical" beach areas IN San Diego so of course you can stop on your way to Anaheim but it is not necessary if your goal is to experience a California beach community!

All you need to do is go to Pacific Beach or La Jolla Shores IN San Diego and you'll see what I mean.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

I'd go with Laguna Beach since it has the most to do in the most compact area.

Newport doesn't have great hotels at the beach neither does San Clemente, Laguna Beach has several on or overlooking the beach.

Look at Inn at Laguna Beach, Pacific Edge, Surf & Sand and see if those work.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,030 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

Laguna beach would be my first choice. La Jolla would be my second but it is closer to SD than LA

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

" La Jolla would be my second but it is closer to SD than LA"

Yes it is, in fact La Jolla is a neighborhood/community in the city of San Diego. Many confuse it as its own city, but its not.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

Sounds like you will have kids, Carlsbad is about halfway between the two locations, has the LEGOLAND Resort (Three different parks) plus a nice Premium Outlet Center, and a nice beaches in the area.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

Don't think you can go wrong with any of the places you mentioned or the ones that have been mentioned in the responses. Laguna is my favorite but San Clemente might be the most "low key" -- the others get very crowded in the height of summer (esp. Laguna due to the art festivals going on).

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night stay between San Diego & Anaheim - where?

I've only spent about 3 hours in Laguna Beach travelling on a coach trip between San Diego and LAX airport but loved it.