We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in San diego

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London England
Level Contributor
119 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in San diego

We are from coming from London, England to California in August. We have two teenagers - 17 and 14 girl and boy and would love to know what to do in San Diego with them for 3 days? Also we are meeting friends for one day with similar age kids and want to celebrate a birthday - where can we eat that is very nice and good for teens (no chains - we like nice food!!). Probably Italian, French places easier to please everyone!

Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,226 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in San diego

Hi there,

WHERE are you staying? Will you have a rental car?

The city of San Diego is quite spread out with many different neighborhoods that offer good restaurants. The surrounding county is even larger!!

Our public transportation does not equally serve all areas ,which is why I need to know about your location and car options.

London England
Level Contributor
119 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in San diego

Thanks for responding. We will have a car and are staying at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel. Look forward to your suggestions of a nice place to celebrate and I know you have an amazing zoo, which we intend to visit, but wondered if there is anything else that is a must!?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,226 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in San diego

There are many activities that people chose to do based on their interests.

I never think there are "musts" that fit everyone's needs.

The zoo is located in Balboa Park which has small museums of all sorts including an interactive science one which also shows amazing I-Max films.

There are also gardens that include desert plants which might be of interest to you. In addition there's an area with artisan shops called Spanish Village so you can talk to the folks who have made items of glass/ceramics/wood/jewelry etc. On Sundays there's free outdoor international entertainment at the International Cottages. There's also theater in our Old Globe right in the park.

www.oldglobe.org

See: www.balboapark.org

IN the park there's a good restaurant that I like :

The Prado , it is not a chain but is one of several owned by one family and each has a different chef/theme.

cohnrestaurants.com/menu-restaurants/…

You MUST make a res even for lunch! Sitting outdoors is less noisy and nicer than inside.

Your hotel actually has quite a nice fine dining restaurant as well.

I think that the nicest French inspired restaurant here might not be "good for teens".(whatever that means???)

http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/

You might find it fun to take the passenger ferry across the bay from your hotel and eat at the ferry landing with views of the downtown skyline.

This Italian restaurant is one that my friends whose family is from Italy have recently enjoyed:

www.arrivederciristorante.com/index.php…

There are others in our small LIttle Italy neighborhood that many on this board enjoy as well:

http://www.buonappetito.signonsandiego.com/

As for activities well , you should go up to La Jolla Cove to see the seals/pelicans in their native environment. Perhaps rent sea kayaks nearby at La Jolla Shores or take a surfing lesson there?

Cabrillo National Monument offers wonderful views, some Ca. history, and tide pools below to explore at low tide.

There are lots of places for outdoor activities like hiking/beach time etc.

You might tell us what your interests are and we can offer more suggestions.

London England
Level Contributor
119 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in San diego

Thanks so much - these choices look great! A day at La Jolla Cove and then dinner at arrivedercristorante or buonappetito - perfect!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in San diego

Right there are the Hilton Bayfront where you are staying is the Vela restaurant, which received rave reviews even from Naomi Wise of the San Diego Reader, and she is impossibly picky and hard to please.

The Marine Room on Spindrift Drive in La Jolla is a unique place, literally right on the beach and at high tide waves splash against the windows. It's expensive, but not stuffy or format at all. They do have a "Taste of the Season" 3-course menu for $50 or $70 with wine pairings, a great bargain for the sophisticated modern cuisine they serve. http://marineroom.com

Cafe 21 on Adams Avenue north of the Zoo is a smashing place; the owners are from Azerbaijan and the cooking there is a mixture of that and "California modern" cooking. A small place so you would need reservations for dinner. They also have a new location in the Gaslamp Quarter as well, but I have not been to that location. http://www.cafe-21.com

Farm House Cafe on Adams Avenue is tiny, expensive, and serves small portions, but serves some of the best-prepared food you'll find in San Diego.

Edited: 11 July 2011, 16:21
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in San diego

For French I would look at Cafe Chloe first, you could walk there from the Hilton Bayfront and for Italian, Bice, you can also walk there.

If you wanted Italian with a bit of fun thrown in, you could ride the ferry from the Hilton Bayfront over to Coronado and eat at Il Fornaio on the bay.

Another French places to look at would be Hexagone, up by Balboa Park and across the street from them is Cucina Urbana for Italian.

Up in Hillcrest, a bit further up from the Balboa Park area is Au Revoir Bistro for French and Hillcrest has just about any kind of food you can name, Mexican, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Afghani, Ethiopian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Jewish deli and more.

I would also consider The Prado in Balboa Park for a special occasion. It is eclectic California nouvelle cuisine so it will have a bit of Italian and a bit of French and a smidge of Japanese.

cohnrestaurants.com/menu-restaurants/…

7. Re: Eating in San diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 15:17