We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Zoo or seaworld

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Zoo or seaworld

4 of us are planning a trip (parents & use in early 40s) we have 3 nights las vegas, 11 night crusie to mexico from san diego and 2 nights before we fly hope (3days as arrive early from cruise and flight is late evening) We were thinking of staying one night san diego and one night santa barbara any hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also not sure what to see whilst in San Diego which is best the Zoo or Seaworld.

Any must see info would be much appreciated

Many Thanks Annette

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

If you have not been to any US Zoo's,this one is top notch..On the other hand,if you have been to another Sea World,they are generic..I highly recommend Wild Animal Park over both of your choices..For the view,location,service,and value,I like the Marriott Marina,or the Hyatt next door($50 cheaper)....

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

I am a little confused. Do you mean that after your cruise you you would stay 1 night in San Diego and then 1 night in Santa Barbara? Then where do you fly home? San Diego and Santa Barbara are at least 4 hours apart driving time. I need a little clarification to be of service to you.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

What airport are you flying home from? San Diego or Los Angeles?

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
693 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

The Zoo and Seaworld are very different experinces.

The Zoo is more of a calm day though they do have a couple of animal shows. If you are here in the summer, the zoo is open at night. We love to go there about 3 PM and then have dinner at Alberts tree top at dusk.

Sea World is a more active day. There are animal shows, rides and entertainment. I take the grandkids there but prefer the zoo for myself.

The other advantage to the zoo is that it is in Balboa park. There is so many things to see there including an artist community just south of the Zoo. If you don't like zoo food, there are two restaurants to go to, the Prado and then one by the Modern Art.

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

Thanks for your help to clarify we fly home from Los angeles, the cruise arrives first thing on April 28th in San Diego and we fly from LA the evening of 30th so just planning what to do and Where to stay for the last 2 nights/3days, any suggestions are much appreciated

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

If you have the last few days of your trip in San DiegoI would agree that going to the zoo and Balboa Park would be a good idea. Besides several small museums there are Japanese,orchid, rose and desert gardens.There is a lovely restaurant called The Prado. Another idea would be for you to take the Trolley Tour. It takes you around the city and you can then get off and visit a place of interest then returning to the next tour bus as you wish. If you are interested in ships you can stroll along our waterfront(The Embarcadero and visit a US aircraft carrier, and old sailing ship) YOu could stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay right across from the cruise shhip terminal.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

I think you'll have to choose between San Diego or Santa Barbara. It would be too much to spend one night here and then drive up to Santa Barbara for 1 night before flying out. Not very relaxing and you won't be able to appreciate either very well.

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

Many Thanks for your advise, Do you think San Diego has enough to offer us for 2 nights, I was thinking it would only take a couple of hours to get up to Santa Monica. We were planning to stay at the San Diego Holiday Inn (one near the cruise ship) the first night, we arrive early so have a full day to Zoo and see some of the city after our cruise, then Holiday Inn Santa Monica. Main reason for Santa Monica was see the beach area and shopping plus could stop off on the way to see Hollywood etc.

Many Thanks for all your help

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

Many Thanks for your advise, Do you think San Diego has enough to offer us for 2 nights, I was thinking it would only take a couple of hours to get up to Santa Monica. We were planning to stay at the San Diego Holiday Inn (one near the cruise ship) the first night, we arrive early so have a full day to Zoo and see some of the city after our cruise, then Holiday Inn Santa Monica. Main reason for Santa Monica was see the beach area and shopping plus could stop off on the way to see Hollywood etc.

Many Thanks for all your help>>>

I can see why you'd want to head up to Santa Monica since you'd be much closer to LAX. San Diego has much more than 1 day to offer but again I understand. If you're driving up Mon - Fri don't try leaving San Diego before 9:00a.m. or you'll be caught in commuter traffic. I think going to the Zoo and Balboa Park would be a lovely day. Maybe have dinner at the Prado in Balboa Park. If not, there is the Fish Market or Top of the Market on the water close to your hotel. Or Anthony's Star of the Sea (don't confuse with Anthony's Fish Grotto - yucky).

http://www.starofthesea.com/

thefishmarket.com/menus/topmarketmenu_6.pdf

http://www.balboapark.org/

There are a lot of restaurants to choose from very close to your hotel. The Gaslamp is fine to go to dinner but after 9:00 the streets have a lot of young people going to clubs. The later it gets the more crowded and louder it gets. Still very safe - no worries going to dinner. I do it all the time. Seaport Village is a nice stroll.

Enjoy

Level Contributor
402 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego Zoo or seaworld

We came from the UK last September and visited Seaworld,Wild Animal park and the Zoo.

Much preferred the Wild Animal Park ( more relaxed with great train ride around the park ) then the Zoo and then Seaworld.

Seaworld bit the same but much more choice at the other two, also not as busy at the Zoo's