We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is A.C. really needed?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is A.C. really needed?

Ok folks need some help here. Many of you helped me with my itinerary questions on an earlier post but now I'm having a difficult time finding a vacation rental that has an A.C. We've found several units that has interested me and my family but only one of those properties has A.C. (Happens to be the one toward bottom of the list). My father is really having a difficult time understanding if the majority of the units don't have A.C., it's because it's not needed. We're from Miami, Fl, where the humidity is out of control. 70 degree weather down here will still make people sweat. I'm figuring it's probably not the same in San Diego. Can you please share your valuable opinion on why it's not necessary to have A.C. in the units? I will forward your responses to my father, that way we could move along and finally book something. We're looking at several units in the areas of La Jolla and Pacific Beach. Thanks again!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

San Diego has a semi-arid climate, with an average of 12 inches of rain per year. I believe Miami's climate as classified as subtropical, with 60 inches of rain per year. So it rains 5 times as much in Miami as in San Diego. You don't have the pervasive humidity in San Diego that you do in Miami.

The coastal neighborhoods of San Diego are typically cool, breezy, and pleasant. You don't need air conditioning, that's why so many of the vacation rentals you've found don't have it.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

You don't need A/C on the coast, except maybe 3-4 days a year if there is a heatwave.Its just not necessary.Now if you were inland at say Lakeside or El Cajon, then yes you may want A/C.

I live just above the beach , and during a heat wave (rare) it can get warm in the day. But after the sun goes down ,you will be looking for a sweatshirt. It can get cool and damp at night.This is not Florida!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

At the time of year you are visiting, no, you won't need air conditioning. If a "Santa Ana condition" is prevailing, the days could be hot, but it would cool down significantly at night, and the Santa Ana condition produces bone-dry air with humidity % in the single digits. Otherwise it will probably be just perfect, neither hot nor cold. We typically only get humidity if the "Monsoonal flow" or "North American Monsoon" condition is prevailing, and that typically happens only in July and/or August. Late September/early October is usually ideal weather for visiting. Be aware that "La Jolla" is sometimes used pretty loosely and many places label themselves as "La Jolla" when they aren't technically in La Jolla, they are near it or inland from it. Before making a reservation, study a map to see the exact location of the place and if it truly is close to the ocean or is trying to pass itself off as "near La Jolla" or "in the La Jolla area" such as University City or whatever.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

Have to agree with all of the above replys. I've lived in a costal area in Southern California since 1992 and I don't have AC. I may have used a fan for ten of those days. Some days I'll come in from playing tennis and have to close the windows because the breeze coming in the windows would be too chilling.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

San Diego is billed as "America's Finest City." My explanation for why it is called that is this: not too hot, not too cold, typically at 68 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, with graceful breezes from the Pacific Ocean. A Mediterranean climate suitable for locals and tourists alike.

Who needs air conditioning when God provides quite nicely, eh? (smile) Of course, those folks in Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, El Cajon and even as close as UTC east of the *real* La Jolla and east of Interstate 5, as well as Kearney Mesa may find they desire to use air conditioning. Vista too. . .

If your accommodation is west of Interstate 5, you should not be concerned if it has no air conditioning.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

The famous Hotel Del Coronado, along the coast in Coronado, never had air condtioning until more recently in its history. I have no idea why it was installed, unless they felt their potential guests would expect it. If air conditioning was not used for most of the history of what is considered to be one of the best hotels in the San Diego area, it would not be fair to dismiss a vacation rental along the coast because of no air conditiining.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 14:44
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

I did not check your earlier posts, so I am not sure when you are visiting San Diego. You also did not state where exactly the units are located that you are considering.

As the previous posters have already indicated, the coastal areas of San Diego do not need A/C at any time of the year. We just don't have that heat and humidity that Florida and other states have. The few days of the year that we have those conditions we open the windows wide and use portable fans. And we complain and complain and complain how hot it is : ). Visitors from other states are often shocked when they encounter our "cool" 75 degrees as opposed to their hot and humid 75 degrees. We always warn people to bring their cardigans or light-weight jackets in the summer, because it cools off substantially as soon as the sun goes down.

Rule of thumb: west of I-5 will usually be cooler than east of it.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

I posted this on another thread but wanted to get your feedback as well:

Ok ladies and gents, we've narrowed it down to the follow two accomodations. One is in La Jolla and the other in Pacific Beach. If you guys had to choose one, which one would it be and why? We really liked the idea of having a Jacuzzi on the roof top in the one in Pacific Beach. The one in La Jolla didn't have a Jacuzzi but it does have a patio on the roof top. Thanks again for everyone's help!

#1 (La Jolla) http://www.vrbo.com/331273

#2 (Pacific Beach) http://www.vrbo.com/247588

Would either place do without A.C?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

I forgot to add, I'm traveling with my Wife, 2 kids (4 Y.O. & 3 Month old), and both parents.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is A.C. really needed?

The one in La Jolla is in an upscale part of town. Don't know exactly which street it is on, but it is very likely going to be pretty quiet if it is only one block from the ocean. Bird Rock does not have a beach and for that you would have to go north to WindanSea or south to Pacific Beach. Find out the exact address, because you don't want to be too close to La Jolla Blvd which can get a little noisy.

It's harder to tell with the Pacific Beach property, as the description says 1 mile from the beach, closer to the bay, in between Garnet and Grand. There are some nice streets and some noisier streets in those areas, but since I don't know the exact address, I cannot say which it will be.

I personally would take the Bird Rock location because I really like that general area a lot.